Dark Stool After Drinking Grape Juice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Every time I drink grape juice my stool is dark for a couple of days before going back to normal. Is it The grape juice causing that?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I don't drink grape juice but I bet that's what's doing this, as long as you're not in pain!

• Posted

I've been having pain all week but that could be the ibs I was diagnosed with. But even when I haven't had pain I've always seemed to have darker than usual stool when I drink grape juice. I drank a whole large bottle last night and this morning.

• Posted

It does sound like it, if your stools return to normal afterwards. I’m presuming you are drinking the darker grape juice and not the white(?) Did you know though, that drinking too much of it is bad for you and it can cause anaemia
    • Posted

It was a 64 OZ bottle I drank half yesterday and finished the other this morning. I 've pain all week in my lower abdomen that started to go away. But I had lighter colored bowel movements until today. The stool looked black but I drank a lot more yesterday and today than usual.

• Posted

It sounds like the grape juice. Take a break from it for a week and see if things go back to normal. Also, you sound like you need to cut back as it’s not only extra calories you have to think about, all that sugar is not good for you, plus, as I said, it can cause anaemia.
    • Posted

I'll have to do that. My doctor told me losing weight would help with the ibs and nerd. And the stool color always changed back before.

• Posted

Well cutting back on the grape juice or stop drinking it altogether will definitely help you lose weight, there are a lot of calories in fruit juice. 
  • Posted

Are you drinking dark grape juice?  This would be the likely cause since your stools go back to normal.  Drinking a whole large bottle is too much. Taking so much of it is probably colouring your stools.  I would cut back on the amount of grape juice you are drinking.  
    • Posted

I drank the dark purple kind. And I drank a larger amount than normal over a short period of time and this time it looked black. But because of the amou t it seems like grape juice would cause it. Ive had lower abdominal pain this week but it likely be the ibs I was diagnosed with causing that. I had a colonoscopy 4 3/4 years ago and it didn't even fi d any polyps at all so it do t seem like it would be colon cancer.

• Posted

It's starting to go back to normal so I suspect it was the Juice. If I had bleeding it likely wouldn't have gone back to normal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.