Dark stools. Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I'm 16 and I got IBS about a year and half ago and for the last 24 hours I've been having darkish stools. But I have NO other symptoms I don't know if it's what I have eaten or something but I'm a little worried now. I have NO pain in my stomach or anything.

Please help.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

its very most likely something you ate. what color are they? just a dark brown?

• Posted

It's a very dark brown close to black but it's like patchy dark I guess not like fully black. I don't know what to do. I have no other problems or symptoms just that. part is stool and part is like slop I guess. Please respond.

• Posted

i dont think you have anything to worry about. do you take any supplements at all? even if you dont though dark stool is rarely anything to worry about unless you have more alarming symptoms like horrible abdominal pain and weight loss. i wouldnt stress too much though wait a few days and if it hasnt gone to a normal brown color then just call your doc but any brown is considered normal.

• Posted

Are you eating any iron rich vegetables such as lettuce or spinach?These foods can cause darker stools. Monitor your diet with a food diary. Stools vary in shapes, size, colour and consistency according to what you have eaten. If darker stools is not related to your diet and it keeps happening beyond one week, see your doctor for advice.

However, at this stage you should not worry since this has happened only in the last 24 hours Keep as calm as possible because worry will aggravate your IBS. Remember that your IBS can also alter your stools in terms of shape, size, colour and consistency. Some people with IBS find some foods hard to digest and they can appear in their stools undigested.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply, I think it was just stress that agrivated my IBS. it's been okay recently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.