DAt 7 Of withdrawal from venlafaxine please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Cannot sleep have the flu like symptoms the mood swings anger and the head zaps nausea. The list goes on

been reading that Benadryl has been useful to some people suffering due to this drug 

can anyone tell me the dosage that's was used?

many thanks for any help

i see I am not alone w this awful problem due to venlafaxine

😞

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi feefeecat,im into my 2wks off of venlafaxine after going cold turkey, nearly went out and bought me some of the benadryl then before realising it my symtoms were so much better, the brain zaps were a mare, and I can honestly say, feels like ive been dragged through a hedge backwards utter nightmare, stick with it, it does get better...all the best....
    • Posted

How on earth did you do it Diane? What dose did you come off?

• Posted

Oh sorry jpm I replyed to feefeecat when it should have been to you, hope you are able to see my reply?
    • Posted

Ive replyed to you when it should have been to jpm, but hope you are not suffering too much with your symtoms?
  • Posted

Hi feefeecat, the gp put me on 75mg venlafaxine bout 7mths ago now and just decided as I feel ok, im going to try to get off these tabs, I didnt want to start taking them in the first place but was crying at the drop of a hat and not a very happy bunny bout life in general,anyway went cold turkey, dont reccomend it, its a shock to the system had all of the symtoms you are going through, and now after 2wks im actualy singing round the house again, now im hoping this is me back again so will keep you posted on here from time to time, that light is getting brighter at the end of the tunnel, you just have to ride the nasty storm and you will get to where I am too, keep posting your thoughts on here and I will do the same....be strong
    • Posted

Hi Diane, I am pleased you are feeling good now. I am stopping from 75mg but I am going to take it slowly. I have tried it before and it was awful, Have to do shopping when going through the brain zaps and dizziness. When i told my GP about the dizziness she asked " What do you mean by dizzy?  I just can't believe some GP's. Are they thick or what? keep in touch but i am pleased for you.
    • Posted

thanks Diane so pleased to hear that someone has come out the other side of this 

xxxxx. Well done 

• Posted

Hi. i did my reduction 5 months ago.

I used 2 tablets of benedryl (acrivastine), not the 1 a day dose from the chemist, 3 times pet day.

I also used stugeron sea sickness tablets, but these can make you drowsey. 

Drink loads of water to get the drug out your system. Take paracetamol or flu medication as this has a chemical in it which mimics the drug in ven!

i was told to eat porridge n carbs too! 

The aches will go but i found mine really got me 3 days after a dose drop. There were days when i had to not go to work....be prepared. 

Be strong. you can do it and there are times when you'll be a mess. 

My psych gave me diazepam for my worst days but i denied myself as i didn't want another addiction! use it if you need it. 

• Posted

Hi Helen . very interesting. about the paracetamol having an ingredient mimicking something in Ven. Which flu medication did you take? As most flu medications have an ingredient which interacts with Ven so I have had to keep off them.

Did the Stugeron help with insomnia which ven is giving me.

• Posted

hi Helen

thanks for that I am deffo gonna get some Benadryl and some flu meds

how are u doing now?

where are you at with your reductions?

i am completely without now and it is hard - it's been quite bad for me as far as anger and mood swings go also which I really don't like but that seems to be settling a little bit now

its so awful and no one warned of this problem when starting on these drugs but I guess when u r depressed and suicidal it's not the first thing u r thinking of 😻

I think u r right by not taking the diazepam though I think u r very strong - I don't know if I could be as strong as u r 

well done xx

• Posted

Hi. the paracetamol don't mimic ven....i didn't explain well. it just helps cramps n shivers! 

I got a cheap flu med with decongestant as that mimics the active ingredient......sudofed is gud too but thats pricey long term! 

My psych never dissed my internet prescription to get me off the damn stuff.....she was intetested but never endorsed it either.

I guess its all experimental. 

Good luck n stay positive.

• Posted

Hi. i've been off meds for 5 months. its been really hard. i'm not gonna lie to you.

Ven has a horrible habit of controlling you even after the last tablet has been swallowed!

My anxiety is awful at times but i have the odd diazepam to help.

i am determined not to medicate myself daily as i need to be able to deal with life as it is, not with the chemical cosh on board! 

Good luck with getting off it! 

• Posted

Hi I stopped Venlafaxine (Effexor) 150mg daily a year ago.  The anxiety has returned and I am disappointed, but do not want to go back.  Took me ages to withdraw as did not want symptoms of withdrawal.  Good for you that you are managing.  I am so reluctant to go onto any prescribed medication.  Just take herbal tablets which I hope relieve the anxiety a bit.  I cope.  
    • Posted

Don't know if anyone will read this but am wondering which herbal tablets you recommend,

take careSxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.