Date for pre-op - how long til date for actual operation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, in your experience how long did you wait from pre op assessment until operation date?  Been asked to go for pre-op on 21st October.

I manage a small business and a key member of staff  will leave next week. No replacement yet  and another will go on maternity leave in the new year - also need replacement for her. 

I need to focus on my health but also desperately need to find cover for leavers plus my cover for when I am in hospital/recovering. 

So understanding when the operation might happen will focus my employer although in practicality it is me who runs the business and will be organising everything.

Supposedly we have lots of people looking  for work so why can't i find just 2? (sorry to rant!)

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Varies but for me it was a month, ring consultants secretary and ask if can give you an idea
  • Posted

Mine was 2 months wait, but that was over summer when theatres close for maintenance .....agree with Tazchurch....give them a call
  • Posted

I think my pre op was two weeks before operation but I think it's usually done the week before as there is a blood test you need to have done in case you need a blood transfusion and that can only be done within 7 days of the operation I was told when I had a total hysterectomy in June this year.  I went in for the operation on the Monday at 7.30am and came home around 4pm on the Thursday.  Preop appointment is usually a couple of hours. 
  • Posted

Just to add I was given my operation date when I saw my consultant, which was 7 weeks after and my preop appointment was sent through the post. 
  • Posted

I was given date for  and forms for blood test for 5 days before.......
  • Posted

Guess it depends where you are.......
    • Posted

It does and also on what the op is which is why I suggest asking the consultants secretary
  • Posted

I had my pre op 3 weeks before my op but I had to have a final blood test 2 days before. I actually had my op date before my pre op so as others have said best to call the consultants secretary they should be able to confirm.
    • Posted

Got my dates given me by the consultant and both at same time. Pre-op 3 weeks after saw him then op one month after that
  • Posted

Thanks everyone I phoned the number on the letter and they said no op booked on their system yet but presumed it would be in the first 2 weeks of November. So I am going to have to continue my search for staff cover on Monday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.