Date for surgery.....àm twitchy now

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have an ascending aorta diagnosed in Dec last year and a furthe CT scan done on the 3rd Jan this year. I had an appointment with the consultant today. He advised that the root of the ascending aorta was borderline at 5cm the rest of the aorta was normal with slight leakage on the Aortic Valve which he considered would be best left alone. He offered surgery on the 4th May. I am unsure if I should wait or should I grab the offer with both hands. I am a 70 year old male quite fit and lead an active life. Would welcome peoples comments/Advice. Thanks Roy

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Best of luck with your surgery, Roy. Praying for your speedy recovery. 
    • Posted

Thank you very much, apprecaite it . Roy
  • Posted

Are you well Roy? Hope all is good. 
    • Posted

Hi Chaika. Hope you're well and thank you for your message. I hope all is well with you too My surgery was scheduled for the 8th June. Well, that as now changed somewhat. I had an appointment with my Surgeon on the 13th May at LHCH to discuss any changes. It seems my Aorta Root is now measuring 4.9cm which is slightly less than previous. My surgeon offered me the option of waiting another 6 months and having another CT and a TOE during this period and being a devout coward I opted for a further 6 months wait. My surgeon assured me there is no problem with waiting another 6 months. Although, no guarantee of course. I also have AF and the surgeon is consulting with my Cardiologist as to the possibly of carrying out an Ablation at the same time...two for one so to speak lol. Anyway, it looks like surgery will take place now around September, Assuming of course my Aortic Root as grown, if it hasn't, then a further decision will have to be made. I will keep you up to date with developments. Take care.

• Posted

Roy--it must be somewhat of a relief to be able to put off the surgery. My husband's surgery is scheduled for June 19 and I'm getting quite nervous (though he isn't as nervous, interestingly--I think at this stage he just wants to get it over with). All best to you and glad to hear all is well. 

• Posted

Hi...Yes it was a relief...but I will at some stage have to face the day of surgery. I understand you getting increasingly nervous as the day draws ever so nearer. May I wish your Hubby and your goodself all the best for the 19th June... Please keep us informed how its going. Take care. Roy
  • Posted

I think Roy's date for surgery is 8th June.

• Posted

Hi Christine

I hope all is well with you. You are perfectly correct Christine in that my surgery was scheduled for the 8th June, well remembered lol. Well, that as now changed somewhat. I had an appointment with my Surgeon on the 13th May at LHCH and to discuss any changes. It seems my Aorta Root is now measuring 4.9cm which is slightly less than previous. My surgeon offered me the option of waiting another 6 months and having another CT and a TOE and being a devout coward I opted for a further 6 months wait. My surgeon assured me there is no problem with waiting another 6 months. Although, no guarantee of course. I also have AF and the surgeon is consulting with my cardiologist as to the possibly of caring out an Ablation at the same time...two for one so to speak lol. Anyway, it looks like surgery will take place now around September, Assuming of course my Aortic Root as grown, if it hasn't, then a further decision will have to be made. I will keep you up to date with developments. Stay safe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.