Date is Set

Posted , 16 users are following.

Went to see the surgeon today and the surgery is set for November 7.  So now I can stop freting over getting a date to fretting over the surgery iteself lol!  Two 1/2 weeks is probably good to limit my amount of fretting and compulsive list making.  The surgery will be the posterior approach and its done on an outpatient basis.  A nurse and a Physical Therapist will come the very next day to check on me and then come 3 - 4 times during the week between the two of them.  Thanks to everyone here for their encouraging words!  It does help to know what to expect.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, I had my lthr 9 weeks ago im in england so just wondering where you are as have never heared of any being an outpatient with this.wishing you all the best and everything will be fine.Just put things you need most high up so not having to bend.hugs to you x
  • Posted

OMG!!  Outpatient??!!   A 3 day overnight stay is the norm here in Pa.  although it can vary with the individual situation. I would have liked to have had it a few days longer personally. I do hope that you will have someone saying with you for at least a few days. That first week can be rough, especially the first few days..  Was this decision made by you or by your surgical team?   Can you tell me your location?   You will definitely be in my thoughts, especially as the date comes closer.  Best of luck, dear.
    • Posted

I have both my husband and my 18 year old son at home.  My husband works from home and my son attends on-line school and I've warned them how much they will have to do for me.  wink  My husband watched the animated video on youtube yesterday and I think that was a surprise to him.  hee hee

• Posted

Just read all the replies - they didn't show up before. Must admit I did think OMG like the others. If you have a trusted surgeon then that is half the battle. Good luck. Polly

• Posted

I replied to most of them at the same time.  Didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring them, so I answered everyone. cool

• Posted

Hi Michele . are you in the UK and what do you mean by having it done on an outpatients basis?  Will you not be staying in hospital,at all? Polly
    • Posted

I'm in the US in Ohio.  I have the surgery at a surgery center specific for ortho procedures.  They have the surgery and it takes about 3 hours to get on my feet and walkingish.  They make sure my pain is managed and that I am moving well, then send me home if everything is ok with pain meds.  They do a lot of pre work like a pre-op PT session and a joint class prior to going into the surgery and a PT person and a nurse comes the next day to my home to check on me.  So I'm hopeful it will be ok.

• Posted

I had a 4 night stay in hospital before discharge and was glad of that. No way I would have managed on my own as an outpatient especially as the meds made me so sick.

Good luck first your op I'm just at day 9 post op and still feeling so tired all the time

• Posted

The last two years I have had my gallbladder removed and a hysterectomy.  I didn't have a likc of issue with either GA or the pain meds (same ones they plan on giving me this time).  If I had any issues with pain meds previously I would be even more wary.  But they are also sending me home with Zortran (I think), which is an anti-nausea medicine.  We'll see how it goes!

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I wish you a very speedy recovery. I was home on day 2, I thought that was good! Make sure you get sent home with all the meds that you will need. Good luck.
    • Posted

Meds I will be all over.  So will my husband because he doesn't want to have to worry. 

• Posted

Hey Michelle, your on your way try not to worry, keep making your lists and know that all you have to do is show up. My wife who is also Michele (one "l"wink had RTHR in April. Six months and everything is good. I had RTHR 12 weeks ago, so weird the it happened with both of us at almost the same time. I'm good at the 3 month Mark, been back to work since 2 weeks. I think that was a little early but feeling good, almost 100%, still take it a little easy on the new hip. Just want you not to worry, of course you will but just know we all got through it and you will too! Look forward to walking pain free and it will get you through the first two weeks, which really are pretty uncomfortable, but time but will pass before you know it. A comfortable bed at least 2 feet off the floor and lots of pillows will help. You'll do great and talking with your support group here will keep you positive.

• Posted

Thanks for the kind words!  I'm trying to not worry - but I was born with the worry wort gene. I'm taking off a total of 8 weeks - 6 weeks for the surgery and 2 weeks of vacation to round out the year.  I'm looking forward to the break but also know I'm going to go stir crazy.  Got lots of movies and tv shows to watch though, so all should be good.

• Posted

Hi Michelle

No-one could have been more anxious than me,but I am posting from my hospital bed now.Had left THR on Thurs 20th Oct. And am feeling fantastic.No pain ,been walking on my crutches today and tomorrow going to the hydrotherapy pool.

Feeling so relaxed and pleased that I went ahead despite my fears.

Had GA and have had no nasty effects and no pain at all.

Just take the Meds they bring me,stopped trying to keep track of what I was given,but have just been told only paracetamol and an anti-inflammatory this evening.So hoping to be off Meds soon.

Good luck to you and don't worry any more .It will soon be over.

Best wishes to all hippies who have followed my anxious posts.

Joy xx

• Posted

Oh Joy. .

I have been thinking of you......how great to hear from you with such positive feedback. ..

well done, darling ....to be honest ,I had my doubts 😕

would love to hear more. ..

maybe start your own discussion. ..

have a good night with hours of uninterrupted sleep. ..

big warm hug

Renee 💙

• Posted

Dear Renee

Having the most trouble with the tablet I am using in hospital.

I am hopeless anyway at accessing the forum posts.I only reply to forum emails and don't, get any on the silly tablet.

My laptop at home is much simpler

Have tried several times to write but either some interruption or other has got in the way.

The good news regarding the hip is that I am doing brilliantly.Have experienced no pain and am independently moving around to bathroom etc.

This morning I had a hydrotherapy session.Fabulous!

Expecting to leave tomorrow which for me is to a care home with physiotherapy and hydrotherapy too.

So I expect to go from strength to strength.

A very happy bunny indeed.Have experienced no pain at all,sleeping and eating well too.

Thank you for caring about us all. T he forum has helped me so much.

I am glad to be able to have good positive experience to pass on.

Truly the anxiety beforehand is almost worse than the event itself.

Best regards to you and best wishes to all going through this experience.

Love from Joy x

• Posted

Glad to hear it all went so well for you!  I hope it continues to be a wonderful experience!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.