Date set for operation, any advise what to take in hospital ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just heard I am having my right knee replacement on July 20th. Eek it's come round quickly !!

Getting nervous now! And advice please on what I should be taking in hospital with me?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all just been reading this thread and have to say am encouraged by what I am reading I am waiting for my date to have my tkr done and am really scared I'm only 44 I know it's going to be hard work but it will be worth it to get a quality of life. At the moment I can't do stairs at all can't walk more than 50 yards without severe pain and am living on painkillers I feel very old at the moment. Good luck to you both having your ops in July x
    • Posted

Hi Joanne, I sympathise with you; it's depressing not to be able to walk comfortably isn't it? Have you tried any physiotherapy? I was referred to the physio dept at my local hospital and then put on an Advanced Rehabilitation Course. I still do some of the exercises daily. I've found that this has really helped over the last year when I've been waiting for the op. Although it's still stiff and uncomfortable, my leg is definitely better than it was a year ago. I have good days and bad days. On good days I question whether I should go ahead with the op; on bad days I think that I've got to do it! I hope you don't have to wait too long.

Jen 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer yes I've tried physio numerous times I like you still do some of the exercises the hospital have also tried the synvisc one injection  and steroid injections this tkr is the last option and I have been having these problems for about 7 years now. Fingers crossed I get a date soon I know it's going to be painful but it will get better after the op and I'm hoping to be able to lead a normal 44 year old life not that of a 70 year old (no offence to anyone of that age ) which it feel like at the moment. Hope all goes well for you x
  • Posted

Hi both of you, thank you for replying. I appreciate any advice given. It's only 9 days now till my op and my nerves are getting to me now !!

Still keep thinking should I just put up with it ? 

I'm sure most people have these thoughts?

Good luck to everyone also waiting for their ops too !!

• Posted

Hi Pauline, I understand totally how you feel. I think of "putting up with it" on a regular basis especially as I have good days and bad days. When I've been on my feet for a while though and I am stiff and in pain I think I must give myself a chance of being better than this.i keep thinking that, after the op, although it will be very painful, the pain should get less and less as time goes on, whereas now there's no chance of the pain going away,  We must be doing the right thing, surely. Good luck with your op.

jen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.