Dating with IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Help!! So I have just started dating this guy, and I don’t know how to cope with my ibs! He is such a nice guy but I keep canceling the dates due to the fear of my ibs! Since meeting him my anxiety has gone through the roof and so has my Ibs symptoms, does anyone have any advice? I feel as if I’m never going to have a life and who would ever Want to be around me if I’m constantly on the toilet! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What are your IBS symptoms?
    • Posted

take buscopan and immodium before you go out. the more times you go out and are ok, the less your anxiety will be, and therefore your symptoms. find out where you're going to go and look at the menu online so you can suss out what foods are likely to be safe to eat.

if you decide he's worth keep seeing, then tell him about it. if he doesn't get it then he's not worth a long term relationship.

• Posted

The guy probably thinks you are blowing him off and if you think there is potential don’t run it.  Just be honest with him, make a joke out of it.  If he is into you he is not going to care.  And if a medical condition is going to make him not like you, he’s probably shallow and not worth dating anyway.  

Maybe you can have a date that accommodates your ibs, maybe tell him you want to cook for him and do dinner and a movie at your place.  Get creative.

• Posted

Tell your boyfriend about your IBS.  Try Buscopan for the pain and Imodium for diarrhoea.  Concentrate on enjoying your date; the more you do this, the less you will think about your IBS.  When your mind is on something else, this will help your IBS to subside.  Distraction techniques work for me. 
  • Posted

Hi Shelby, it's a tough one to tell your new boyfriend what is wrong but just ignoring the symptoms or pushing through them will make your IBS symptoms worse. It's possible you may need an alteration of medication to cope with this potentially lovely thing, be honest tell him you try to put up with this the best you can. Do what you can. After 10 years marriage I have made days out to not be all about food or places that serve food. Make things as light and as fun as you can. Good luck hope it works out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.