Daughter 14 suffering low iron and vit b12.

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, my daughter has been unwell for quite some time and suffering hurendous symptoms. She is suffering, dizzy spells where her sight goes black, headaches, feeling sick, exhaustion, itchy skin, craving ice, foot pain, pins and needles, mood swings, anxiety, ulcers, palpitations, looking pale, confusion, lack of concentration. She is just not my daughter I have taken her backwards and forwards to the GP and they have said her Feritin level is 17 which they class as normal and a B12 level of 189 which they again class as normal they just keep saying to me she isn't anemic with it. I pushed and have been referred to the hospital and the consultant said wont transfuse till figures are single for iron and prob wouldn't treat a child. And B12 won't provide injections and don't believe it's that. They have done ECG and that's been it. Waiting for a tape for 24 hrs but wanting to leave her till next year before chase anything else up. She isn't functioning on a daily basis what else can I do. ? She has been prescribed some iron supplement but that's making her feel more sick and not helping any of her symptoms. I'm so worried she isn't well.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon, I'm sorry to read about your daughter.

Anyone at any age, can become Vitamin B12 deficient. 

What is her diet like?  Can/does she eat meat, fish, seafood, eggs, poultry or dairy produce because they are the only natural sources of Vitamin B12 we can get from food.

B12 is stored in the liver and requires "topping up" from what we eat. so unless she has an absorption problem with her tummy increasing her intake of those foods will help. 

Is she on any medications that affect absorption of B12?

Has she been tested for Intrinsic Factor Antibodies (IF)?

Is there a family history of Pernicious Anaemia.

Does she have thyroid problems?

Does she have Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

Do you know what her Folate level is as this and B12 help her iron to make red blood cells and to function properly in the body.  The three must be kept in balance.  Does your daughter "eat her greens"?

The British Society for Haematology guidelines say on the Diagnosis of B12 and Folate Deficiency "In the presence of discordance between the test result and strong clinical features of deficiency, treatment should not be delayed to avoid neurological impairment". Simply put, this means that your daughter's doctor should be treating her symptoms not just looking at the computer screen.

I'm not a medically trained person but I've had P.A. for over 45 years and I wish you both well.

• Posted

Hi, her diet is good she loves her greens especially sprouts and broccoli and asparagus so defo a green feast and she eats meat and fish. She has been tested for collec and came back negative. She has had problems with her iron levels sinc been small and had a camera check her stomach out and has reflux so doesn't absorb very well. 

She hasn't got gluten intolerance or anything like that all negative. 

No family history really but my mum does have B12 deficiency but came with age. I have low B12 which they will not treat but I'm in the process of having a thyroid problem diagnosed. 

Dont know her folate and they are waiting for antibodies to come back as yet. 

• Posted

Is your daughter vegetarian or vegan? Does she have any persistent digestive issues, IBS or similar? Unfortunately doctors seem convinced that they don’t need to consider the symptoms patients are presenting with. Really this ought to be their priority. They only want to rely on blood test results, and really 189, your daughter’s B12 result isn’t that good. Many places consider anything below 200 to be deficient, and some will treat anything below 500, notably Japan. 

Do you have the ranges (figures in brackets) from each of your daughter’s results? You are entitled to ask your GP surgery for a copy of the results. I’m not sure the ferritin level is that good. Did they test folate and VitD too? Folate, ferritin and VitB12 all need to be in balance, and a lack or excess of one can mean absorption is compromised. Has your doctor checked your daughter’s thyroid function as this might be a factor? 

I am shocked that they seem unwilling to look into this further, especially as she is so unwell. There is the possibility of private blood testing, but obviously this can prove costly. 

Have a look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website for a full symptom list, they can intervene with a GP on behalf of their members. They also deal with all B12 deficiencies, not only Pernicious Anaemia. Perhaps you GP is only looking for signs of Anaemia, and that is often the last thing to show up. Low levels of B12 can be responsible for so many disturbing and possibly damaging things. 

Is your daughter’s balance OK? Does she have visual problems? 

Please let me know how things go? 

Best wishes Marion 

• Posted

Hi, 

my daughter is deficient in vitamin D but most of us where we live are but she takes a large supplement once a month from the GP . Not sure what her folate is or her levels. I know anything under 200 is supposed to be deficient but the consultant said oh just below its fine . !! 

Her vision is bad at the min and she has failed her hearing test aswell which we have retested on Tuesday next week, she is partially deaf anyway since birth and partially sighted in one eye since birth. But has dropped in the last month. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.