daughter

Posted , 3 users are following.

well my daughter has osteoporosis in her spine 3.4 how bad is this she has anorexia and is 24 yrs old please can anyone help x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

For a 24 year old that is very concerning.  What kind of treatment is she getting for the anorexia?  It would seem her lack of nutrition has caused this and nothing we say can help, unless she is getting treated for the anorexia.  You can tell her there is a lot she can do to help those bones, but she'll have to feed them!

I hope you do have the support you need in your community.  Best wishes.

• Posted

She is sectioned and in a specialized unit for her anorexia ,thanks for your reply
    • Posted

My situation is completely different, but I did write an account of my experience which includes some advice about nutrition, supplements and exercise, so there may be something useful there.  Google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey.

It seems that nutritional support really is the best way forward, so if your daughter is able, with the therapy she is receiving, to overcome her irrational fear of gaining weight things should improve.  Normally we continue to gain bone mass until our thirties so she has time to turn things around. 

Please tell her we care about her and wish her well.  I hope you are doing well?  It must be difficult to see a loved one in this situation. 

• Posted

hi this was really helpful as i didnt no about the bone mass till thirties gives me hope thanks so much linda x

• Posted

Hi, yes I had anorexia years ago now, but I could not see it, when I look back on the photos my face was o drawn in, arms so thin but I could only see it when I was over my emotional turmoil, no matter that my family kept telling me I was too thin.  

Yes get her some help and there maybe underlying matters of her own that she has not spoken to you about because they are too painful to speak of, or your daughter feels she is unable to speak to you about.

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your daughter, but try and speak to her and see if you feel there is something going on that your daughter feels she cannot speak about.

you would not believe how common this is amongst young people and it may be something significant or minor, but to your daughter it may have deep meaning.

If she is a teenager this could be anything, it's a very difficult time when they are teenagers with hormones developing and they start to feel they are neither a child nor a woman, but in between.

Common reasons for traumas with teenagers can be from one extreme to another; abuse of any nature, bullying, anxiety dissorder, boyfriend trouble, questioning her sexuality, self loathing, peer pressure, work load at school, problems at home that your daughter feels is a problem but you may not, ongoing problems unresolved at home. 

Check them out, have a mum and daughter day, buy her a new outfit, go horse riding, sailing, camping, surfing, what ever she likes to do, make it a surprise, what ever it takes and have a calm, understanding talk with her and if you find out what it is and it makes you furious just don't show it in front of your daughter.

If that does not work then get her some professional help, but it has to be the right help for her and that can be tricky if you don't know the cause.  You need to know the cause to get the right help!

I did not tell my stepmother my problem until I was 26 years of age!

• Posted

my daughter has been in hospital over 5 yrs for her anorexia  she is in a specialized unit, i just found out about her bones just wondered if there was anything she could take that might help ,thanks for reply 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.