Daughter free nhs dentist, but will be charged £665 for 3 white fillings.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, my daughter is 18 and in full time educuation, so currently still gets free dentist treatment. Our dentist advised that she needs 3 large fillings, however due to her fainting often and fear of dentist, she has been referred for conscious sedation at another dentist which is approx 60 miles away. She really wants white fillings, as is worried about having so may silver at such a young age. I asked this new dentist how much I would have to pay, as I know you dont usually get them free on NHS for back ones. They have advised that is she has white ones, the whole procedure will then have to become private, and also the time will lengthen from 30mins to one hr, therefore costing me £665. Does this sound correct? I though I could just pay for the white fillings sad. Now not sure what to do, as I cant really afford that, was going to use credit card but that is so much sad. But also feel bad that she will have 3 silver fillings. Any advice appreciated. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samhelp

Sorry about last post I pressed the wrong button.

I use a NHS dentist and have just had a white filling which cost me £138.  I don't think it was a particularly large filling as I have paid £250 in the past.

The dentist is right when he or she says that it will take longer with white fillings as they have to build the filling up layer by layer and use an instrument inbetween each layer which shines a bright light on it.

Some years ago I changed my dentist because I didn't feel that I was getting the right treatment.  I could not find another NHS dentist and had to go private.  Upon my first checkup xrays were taken that revealed quite a lot of decay in many of my teeth.  I was shown these xrays and could not believe how many teeth were affected.  I knew there must have been some problems because I found it painful to eat anything sweet.  Treatment commenced and I had a number of small fillings, large fillings and a root canal all with white fillings.  I spent nearly £2000.  Of course you pay for every single thing that they use on you, mouth supports, dressings, anaesthetic and so on.  I have to say though that I did not have any pain for a long time after that.  This was about ten years ago.

I moved house a little while ago and now have a NHS dentist.  Like your daughter I always like to have a white filling as I think it looks better but it does come at a price.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Marie

• Posted

Thank you for your time and advice. 

I was just surprised that by choosing white it would mean that the sedation etc, would become chargeable also, I expected them to just charge the extra. sad

I can understand that she is concerned about the look, as she may find she needs more in the future. Very torn as it is a lot of money to find. 

Thanks

Sam x

• Posted

Hi Samhelp

It is a lot of money to find and I didn't expect to pay what I did.  I can understand your dilemma. 

I hope you both manage to find a solution that you are happy with.

Best wishes

Marie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.