Daughter had stroke at 9 months old....

Posted , 1 user is following.

My daughter had heart problems arise when she was around 7 months old, and a couple of months later was placed on ECMO for her heart to save her life.  Once they removed her and took away the blood thinners she got a bleed on the brain which prompted them to do a craniotomy so her brain could heal and swelling could subside.  They then sent her home on Hospice (which at the time I didn't realize was for when you were going to die.)  After 2 years of therapy (speech and physical) she was removed from Hospice and took her first steps and started walking.  Everything was great! She improved leaps and bounds after that, but still had weakness on her left side of her face and in her left hand.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago.  She was playing with her Barbies and she said her foot felt tingly/tickly.  She started to giggle and then fell straight over in a seizure.  We were horrified and took her to the ER.  Considering her past, they immediately got her a room and ran blood tests on her.  Of course the blood tests came back negative for diabetes and they sent us home hours later saying if a seizure happened again, to record it and come back.  She then had another seizure more violent than the first that night.  I was most certainly not thinking about recording it, and completely forgot.  She got the tingling sensation again before it happened and knew it was about to happen.

The next day we woke up and she had another seizure again in her sleep.  We took her to her pediatrician which then referred us to a Neurologist up in Louisville where her cardiologists are.  About two weeks later we got to see them and they ran tests over night at the hospital there (this was just last week we went.)  They done a CT Scan (She can't have a MRI because she has a pacemaker) and an EEG.  The next day the Neuro came  in and said that the CT Scan didn't show any tumors (Thank God), just the scar tissue from her stroke when she was a baby.  She did however say that the EEG did pick up on the tingling sensation she got in her feet.  She said it was seizure like activity and wasn't exactly a seizure.  They then placed her on seizure medication and sent her home the next day.  She is still complaining every night of tingling and burning sensations in her left foot (her stroke was on the right side of her brain) and her foot shakes sometimes.  

I would of thought after this many years that she would of healed a ton and wouldn't just now be experiencing this.  It's really affecting her sleeping at night and gives her terrible anxiety.  Anyone have any ideas why this is just now happening?  She hasn't had any seizures since about 3 weeks ago (unless she's having them in her sleep and I don't know it.)  

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I forgot to mention that my daughter is now 8 years old. And these recent issues just started happening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.