Daughter just about to start Roaccutanne ...any tips ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have been reading all your comments with interest.  My daughter (aged 20) was referred to a dermatologist about 18 months ago, and the subject of this treatment came up.  I had read horror stories in the press and so agreed we would try other treatments first.  Unfortunately we have bought every lotion and potion available and nothing is working.  So now are to give the treatment a go. I suffered with terrible acne myself, but luckily it cleared when I was about 17.  This is obviously not going to be the case with my daughter.    Obviously nervous for her - as it sounds like a VERY powerful drug and noting the comments about the dry lips, skin, etc. Coincidentally I was talking to a work colleague this week, how mentioned that his girlfriend took it.  I spoke to her and she told me that it changed her life. So I guess it is good for some and not others.  She did however mention that vaseline provides more of a barrier rather than a moisturiser, and suggested carmex for lips.  Can anyone recommend a good moisturiser for the skin.  I was told that it doesn't hurt to start moisturising in advance.  What worries me most is the depression, aches, pains, which some people seem to get...presuming this doesn't happen with everyone ?  Also - my daughter wears contact lenses.  Does anyone out there on the drug have trouble with their lenses ?  It will be a small price to pay if she has to revert to glasses for a while.

Any comments/advise gratefully received ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

ive been taking the tablets now for 3 months and have had ups and downs on them im on 70mg a day

dryness you kind of just put up with but aching some times does get me down how ever all i keep telling my self is to battle through as my face looks miles better than it was and also that im not going to be taking the pills forever...

as for my eyes i bought gel drops from the pharmasist in asda as i at times seem to get dry eyes (never had it before)

hope this helps and my only advise to keep in the front of your daughters mind is keep going even if you feel like giving up x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advise....my has researched an is aware of the dryness problem - the joint ache we will take on board.  Could I ask if you have had depression or suicidal tendencies ? as  a mum this is what freaks me out....we can cope with everything else, !
    • Posted

Hi Mandy, I finished a course of roaccutane last November and i can honestly say it has changed my life. I also read all the horror stories of suicidal thoughts and depression, but decided that a change in my skin should help my self esteem, raising my mood rather than lowering it. Its the most demoralising thing worrying about how disgusting you perceive your skin to be. I didn't suffer mentally at all, and the improvement in my skin was so rapid that my self esteem picked up pretty quickly. I just used my regular nivea soft moisturiser whilst suffering dry skin, but applied it several times a day and liberally before bed. I used vaseline on my lips and it worked a treat, they make an SPF one too which is good as on roaccutane your skin becomes more sensitive to the sun-this was my main concern and i switched from my usual factor 15 to factor 30. My eyes became itchy and dry (i used eye drops) so it may be more comfortable for your daughter to change to glasses for a while. My only side effects were excessive sweating when exerting myself, achey joints, and the usual dryness, all of which i feel were a small price to pay in exchange for the increase of self esteem-all i ever wanted was 'normal' skin, its pretty grim how much you can put yourself down over something so superficial, freeing myself from this concept that i created that made me feel disgusting is incredible.
  • Posted

ive suffered from depression many years ago so i was worried that it may re occur on these tablets so i decided to see if i felt the depression re accour to stop...so far i havent so im just going to keep going for now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.