Daughter Over Eating

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

My daughter over the last few years has been putting a lot of weight on at a fast rate and to be honest I am worried sick.  I have tried to speak to her  about this and supported her when she has at times tried to lose weight..

I am aware this is her way of dealing with her emotions but I feel Iam losing my daughter as she treats me with coldness and indifference..Its like the girl I brought up is becoming insensitive, uncaring, hurtful, selfish etc etc

What I wanted to know..  Is this change in her attitude  part of her addiction or just my daughter being hurtful to me because she is now living with her partner and has a problem with me.. She is all the good things I know she is with him (she is 25 yrs old) I am a good mum and brought her up on my own.. I try and support her as much as I can..She can be very negative all the time and always tired and for being so young does not go out as much with her friends etc..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The problem not about her losing weight,its about eating too much. Theres no point in her trying to lose weight while she still wants to eat. At the end of the day she may be acting cold because she feels like you are judging her. In a way you are,with the best of intentions I'm sure, but you are assuming she wants to stop eating so much. As hard as it is to believe,some people do not want to stop overeating, you may have to just accept that she wants to be the way she is, and stop looking at it as an addiction when it may be a choice. Theres a huge difference
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to post..

I actually don't go on about it to be honest as I know from experience and having stopped an addiction myself this does not help at all..

I am also not making assumptions she wants to stop eating as she told me herself she is not happy anymore that she cannot find nice clothes to wear.. She has started the gym and watching what she eats.. She also said herself it was an addiction

So a lot of this is from my daughter not me...

I can relate to your statement about her feeling Iam judging her.. Whic I have as her behaviour has been very hurtful and totally out of order.. So my question is would this be related to her eating problem and how she deals with situations.. As I know from experience an addiction does have a major effect on your personality??

• Posted

Having had an eating disorder myself,its often not at all about the food, or lack of it, or even about body image although that is something easy to use to measure the success or failure,its often about control or lack of it in some other aspect of life. I don't think anyone but a professional could say what behaviours are associated with what, but all you can do is support her, make her time with you not at all about food and let her come to the realisation that she might need help herself
    • Posted

Sorry jmcg but I don't discuss my daughters eating habits when we are together.. But I can see where it might not be all about food and as I have said more an emotional crutch and a form of control..

Thanks for replying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.