Daughter refusing meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

My 16 yr old daughter was diagnosed in December with Toxicosis she took her meds at first but now refuses to take them her level is up to 80 not nearly as high as it was originally. Her resting heart rate is 155. Getting worried and need advice on how to convince her she needs to take the meds. Have spoken to consultant and they have told her they may admit her but she says no! Please help a desperate mum x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Having a very fast heart rate is serious.  Why won't she take her meds?  

I actually refused to take my meds once myself, but it was because the dose was too high.  

After a summer break, I went to a new endocrinologist who had a little different plan: to start out low and gradually increase the dose until it was sufficient.  

I went along with it for a while but I was getting all of the symptoms of being hypothyroid, especially bothersome was "brain fog."  I was so confused, I didn't know why, but I fell face down in the street.  Fortunately there wasn't much traffic.  

It happened between the time I got my blood test taken and the time for my appointment with the endo.  

He saw my scraped up face and asked what happened.  I had to tell him I didn't know, I couldn't even think about anything or be aware of what was happening around me because the brain fog was so bad.  The only thing I knew was that the brain fog got worse when I took the pills and better when I didn't.

He took pity on me and decreased the Methimazole slightly.  I felt much better and the next appointment my TSH had risen from practically zero to high in the normal range.  The next appointment the TSH was above the normal range meaning I was hypothyroid, so they lowered the dose again.

When the doctor would no longer lower my dose, I did it myself always being careful to remain constant on the new level for 4-6 weeks before the next blood test.  My TSH always stayed in the normal range until I was off the pills altogether and I haven't had to take that medication for the last 2 years.

Hopefully my experience will help.  I know it is harder to deal with a teenaged daughter than to go through the diseasee yourself.  Just be kind and work with her to see how much she would be willing to compromise.  That is about all I can suggest.

Best wishes.

• Posted

have you asked her why she dosent want to take her meds .?

maybe if you can sort that out you could get her back taking them .

also have you checked how much artificle sweetner she is comsuming

Aspertame has in some cases of high levals being consumed caused graves dieases   to be mimicked .just a thought.wink

• Posted

Hi, unfortunately my daughter collapsed today and is now in The High dependency unit in hospital. She has made herself very poorly.

• Posted

well proberly the  best thing in the long run ,because she can now see how ill she is and what  not taking the medication can lead to . [ i dont mean its a good thing shes so ill and in hospital ] please dont tak e the wrong way .

i do hope they can sort her out and find out why shes so againts taking her meds so this dosent happen again 

• Posted

Please let her read this, I was taken seriously ill with Artrial fibrillation taking my heart rate at to 195, I took almost a week to bring it to rate that a heart attack or stroke wouldn't happen . At it's worst I was bear ly conscious , I'm now on blood thinners for life and I'm at fist of a stroke and have constant palpitations . All of this was because I had gone un diagnosed , I'm now taking my medication and consider myself very luck. I've since found out my 80 year old uncle was diagnosed with graves at 30, her served in the airforce and had lived a perfectly normal life . Left to run a muck this thing would have killed me!
  • Posted

Hi,  My daughter has been in a similar state.  She is now 21.  She decided she would medicate herself, and much against my better judgment, I could not force her to take the pills.  Gradually her condition improved.  Diet also helps a great deal, please research some natural remedies.   I found out about the importance of magnesium in keeping the heart healthy - she is also asthmatic. She was in intensive care following a serious asthma attack, and was given a great deal of intravenous magnesium.  Its very important for the heart. Calcium makes the blood vessels in the heart contract, and magnesium makes them relax, as the heart pumps.  So it is vital.   Nobody speaks about this, but it is vital.  Please do some homework yourself on this.   Magnesium also directly affects stress levels, fatigue,  and it helps reduce high blood pressure.  Hope she gets well soon X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.