Daughter wants to get sober but terrified of anxiety.

Posted , 11 users are following.

My daughter has been using alcohol to suppress anxiety and depression and is now addicted.  She wants to be sober but is terrified of the anxiety which she feels she will never be free of if sober...its a viscious circle.  She has given up on detoxes and tried nalfemene but so scared of the feelings when sober she gives up quickly.  Has anyone been down this route and has anything to help her?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If she is ever going to lower her anxiety she has to put down the drink first and go thru the uncomfortable feelings of high anxiety for about a week.

I suffer from severe anxiety and when I drink it makes the anxiety 10x worse.

When I am sober for any length of time the anxiety lessens.

But, the first few days after a binge...I am a MESS of anxiety. I feel like I'm going to die...but then it subsides a bit.

I hear in your tone how much you love your daughter. Just posting means you want to help her so much. BUT...I also hear alot of enabling in your post.

You can't make excuses for her...just the title is an excuse for her to NOT stop drinking.

I'm glad you found this site so you can talk to others about how to help her.

The best way to help her is to help her get help to stop...cook her small meals during recovery..see that she gets to counseling...but believing that she NEEDs to keep drinking because of the anxiety is not going to help her sad

• Posted

Thanks Missy...I do know you are right really and I also know there's nothing I can do, it has to come from her.   Yes I probably am making excuses but when she shares here anxieties with me I do feel sorry for her and although I constantly tell her the anxieties are caused by the alcohol, there is a part of me that knows that sober people suffer from these conditions too and I don't know what can be done about that.  She is currently considering a home detox so I'm hoping it will go better than before. Thanks for listening!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.