Daughter with anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

don't know what to do. Have daughter of 14 who has severe anxiety and depression. She struggles sometimes with school. Teachers don't understand the say she is skipping class when she's maybe in toilet having attack. When teachers pull her up she just starts crying. She always cries which has made her a target for bullying. When my husband and I go to the school they say we are well known for fighting our daughters battles but what else are we ment to do. How can I get them to understand. They have even suggested going to another school 25 miles away as she obviously isn't happy. Anyone have Amy advice?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carole, I feel for you and your daughter. It sounds like a horrible and distressing situation sad

I do not have children myself yet, but it seems to me that maybe this school is not right for her... They don't seem to be offering either your daughter or yourself much support at all. My cousin had similar, but her school offered counciling and even provided her a place where she could go if she did have a panick attack...which is why I feel your school could do more.

Perhaps the first step would be to take your daughter to the DR and see what help they can offer her. If she feels able, perhaps moving schools could be a real positive for her.

I had anxiety from a young age too...I don't believe it goes for everyone but it can get better. I wish you and your daughter all the best X

• Posted

She is on sertraline and propranolol and most of the time she can cope but lately the teachers have started asking her why are you on medication and maybe you should up your tablets if she is upset. They don't seem to realise what they are doing to her x

• Posted

Hi Carole,

Sounds like the school is not supporting her properly. I used to be a teacher and I would hope that I was aware of students who suffered anxiety to the point where they didn't perform well in class. Sounds like they have labelled her a problem and are not willing to go that extra mile to help her. I'm sure some teachers are more empathetic than others with her . At my school where I taught there was a club for students who had low confidence and they worked on encouraging these students so they cud perform better in class. Bringing students in a similar situation together may help.

I also remembered students who regularly skipped class and some teachers wud be quick to judge them as a problem. They wud fall behind but not help them catch up.

Hope this helps

Phil

• Posted

My sister had the same issue.. Her school started tutoring her after hours as actual classes.. She now is at school 2 hours a day after everyone else goes home and one teacher stays with her. Maybe a school change would be different and help her.

You have to not fight every battle for her. I know it seems like the right thing to do, but trust me, you're making it easier for her anxiety to exist.. She does need to learn to stand on her own and deal with anxiety or it will completely run her life..

My mom babied my sister and she know is 17 and literally doesn't leave her bedroom more than the 2 hours a day for school. Is she on meds? Does she have a therapist? Therapy may be key, finding out why she's so anxious about her schooling. Is it as bad if she goes out with friends or is at home?

• Posted

Aww what ashame,,must be so upsetting for you,if she has anxiety

going too another school is not going to help,have you pushed for her to get educated at home,i know it is possible.good luck,,hope she feeling better soon.

• Posted

My daughter hated going to school (she was ok when she was there, apparently), does years we would struggle to get her to go to school. She saw psychotherapists, or school psychologists- not sure, but they weren't very helpful. My sister-in-law suggested home education, we looked into it, offered it to my daughter, and although it wasn't all plain sailing and I would do things differently if I could I would never hesitate to home educate, it made such a difference to my daughter.

I wish you and your daughter well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.