Daughters sick bug making anxiety kick in!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my daughter started with a sick bug on Wednesday night. I'm totally paranoid about catching it as I have health anxiety and w phobia of being sick! I've steam cleaned my house, disinfected and washed my hands about a thousand times. She is only 3 so I've been stuck in the house with her for 3 days. She seems to be getting better, but my husband started with it last night. My anxiety has now gone in to overdrive I don't know what to do, I'm terrified of getting it. Feel like I have heartburn, pains in stomach and nausea but I've had this for 3 days is it just my anxiety??

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Probably is just your anxiety love mine kicked back in 3 days ago it's awful just try and stay calm x
    • Posted

Yeah probably just know I will end up catching it and knowing my luck it will be next week when everybody is better lol.
  • Posted

Yes, it is probably your aniety attempting to take control of you.

If you get the sickness, you get it. Your daughter comes first because she has only you to depend upon.

I know it cannot be easy for you, but if you actually try hard to put aside you own concerns, and put her welfare to the forefront, then you might be able to cope with the situation better.

From time immemorial mothers have been doing this for their children because it is part of the natural process, and you will do it to simply because there is nobody else to do it.  

• Posted

Yes you are right. I have been looking after her the best I can, she had it this time last year and I know I wasn't like this just shows how much my anxiety has taken over! I got it last time when she was better, but my husband didn't. Why does anxiety do these horrible things??
    • Posted

It's messing with my head at the minute making me think about things i don't want to and feel things i don't want to its an horrible thing to go through i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy just got to try and stay strong x
    • Posted

Same here I question everything I think like is it the anxiety or is it real. Since I've accepted having it things seem to be getting worse.
    • Posted

Because any mental health issue, particularly anxiety-related condiitions are the most insidious of disorders.

They creep up on us, make us question our very sanity, wreck our general health, and continue troubling our minds and trick us sometimes into believing that we are imagining it all.

The simple truth is that the only imagination involved are the horrible tricks that these conditions can play on us.

If it was a simple case of mind over matter we might well be able to sort it out on our own, but rarely is this the case.

It nearly always requires the intervention of a doctor.

• Posted

I'm having counselling and seeing my GP on a regular basis. I'm on citalopram which helps to a certain extent, but I need to learn to block the feelings I get about being ill etc.
    • Posted

If you feel that things are getting no better, please do not be afraid to tell your doctor exactly what is going on.

Your doctor can augment/ alter or increase yourmedications at any time, so there is no need to live a life of hell.

• Posted

I find it hard to fully explain how I feel because it makes me feel stupid.
    • Posted

Let me assure you amy that you are not being stupid - you are struggling with an anxiety-related disorder, and you would be well advised to seek some help for it.

I must say that from what you have said it appears that the anxiety really builds-up when you are under severe pressure/stress like for example at the present when your daughter has been ill, and now your husband has started with it.

I realise there is no point in me saying to you 'try to relax', because  if you could have you would have done it already, so the doctor is one possible course that I think you should now follow.

• Posted

I can handle things a bit better when I'm taking citalopram, but without it I'm a nightmare!!
    • Posted

If it starts to be a real problem for you inspite of the citalopram, then as I said your doctor would be able to able to augment/ increase/ change your meds so you can get yourself under better control.

Whatever you do, do not allow this horrible 'thing' to beat you.

As a wife, mother and home maker you have a very responsible position that requires you to try and keep yourself fit and well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.