David.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm trying to get off fentanyl and find the withdrawal very hard the worst being the irattable and restlessness feeling like you can't put up any longer. I'm on the 100 patch strength. How have you coped with it and how long does it take to come off 

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm having to stop the 50mcg patch and am not looking forward to this. I've tried before and was unsuccessful and even ended up hospitalized. Please stay safe. I would personally recommend tapering down first, maybe go to the, 50mcg ect. If you are committed to going cold turkey, please make sure your Dr is aware so they can help you prepare for certain situations many experience. Please keep us posted. I wish you good luck.

• Posted

Surely you won't just stop but will reduce the amount,it's a horrid feeling like nothing I can relate to. I've come from 100 patch to 75 patch but can't get any relief from it. My thoughts are with you it's real tough. I'm in withdrawal now and don't know what to do with my self the restlessness in  horrible good luck with your journey. 

• Posted

I don't really have the option to reduce at this particular time. I'm waiting until my appointment to find out what my doctors want to do with my current situation, but I do not think reducing is going to be an option. Although I wish it would be as when I tried to stop the fentanyl and substitute with morphine it was a disaster. After my surgery I was put on fentanyl and after two months I tried to get off it and ended back in hospital for withdrawals that put me unconscious. I think I might mention taping the patch and see if I can quickly get off the patch with that.

• Posted

Oh you poor thing your going through the wars. It's a horrible drug wish I never had to take it but you go along with the experts at the time then it's us that have to come through this. Good luck to you all the way in life now. 

• Posted

It is much easier to use scotch tape and mask off part of a patch to lower your dose just a few mcg per patch change.  I have successfully come down without any hard withdrawal symptoms.  .  The most I feel is being tired some days.  I am down to approx. 5 mcg per hour.  I will be off completely in next 10 days.  See if your doctor will work with you this way.
    • Posted

Hi Susan that sounds really good especially if it's worked for you ,how strong a patch were you on ?  The dose reduction the doctor gives is to dramatic and that's why I'm getting bad withdrawal. How long did you kep the reduced patch on until you changed strengths. I coul cope with tiredness I've already got that. 

• Posted

100. Taped one quarter off equals 75 mcg.
    • Posted

Do not cut the patch as when cut the medicine is not time released. My friend OD'd accidently from trying to cut the patch to reduce the amount. Please be careful.

• Posted

Oh never thought about that I had heard you couldn't but could not think why until you just said thank you. I won't be doing that I'm in enough trouble with this demon without making it worse. 

• Posted

My friend almost died from doing that. I'm a medical assistant, told him not to for that exact reason, didn't listen. It is so very dangerous. That's why if you accidently cut a patch opening the package you are supposed to bring it back to the pharmacist. Sometimes they replace it, depending on your pharmacist, at no extra cost.

• Posted

Thank you Brandelyn,I certainly won't be doing that your experience would be mad to ignore. Wondered why it wasn't that easy to just cut it down. It's a mind field of problems. Appreciate you knowledge. Why isn't there smaller amounts that could be used to withdraw on. The company that make them should be made to have smaller doses to solve this problem. They must be aware that certain types of people become addicted to them. 

• Posted

Hi I'm coming of Actiq first then the patch. The last 2 times I've kept the patch on for an extra day and get withdrawal within 12 and ended up taking more actiq which is wrong so will ensure patch gets changed every 72 hours. You have a tough battle ahead. from what i've read the best way is to taper very slowly and the last stage is the worst when the dose is really small and to  finnally get off at the end.

I wish you well and hope you succeed. Always remember if you need to stay longer at a particular dose thats ok if you are not ready, wait and try again. I just hope you get the support I'm getting and its ok to "fail" as you can start again.

Half the battle is psychological and half is physical dependence and its difficult as you are fighting 2 battles not one. From what i've read a slow taper is best but realise there is no right/wrong way as it "personal"to what your body can cope with. I've only started with my taper on actiq and finding it difficult and am open to all the help going. Irratability is part of the process and better to let those around you know why you are cranky.

Wishing you success and not too much withdrawal symptoms if possible.

• Posted

Thanks for all your experience it's helps to know we're not alone and other people are in the same position. Good advise the way you have reduced it. What a horrid medicine to be prescribed. Does cutting the patch help I've heard it doesn't  have you any advice on this 

• Posted

Hi It depends on the type of patch. I have the gel filled one that you can't cut. If you have the single layer film ones I have read of people cutting the 12.5mcg patch either diagonally or trimming a bit of all round increasing the size of what they trim each time and then stopping the patch completely.

An alternative to cutting the patch is to cut of half the backing plastic and keep half the backing plastic on and then tape the patch on, effectivly only allowing your body to absorb half the patch

• Posted

Yes that makes sense I'm on fencino i think they could be cut down and tapped thanks again for your comments. Must be a better life somewhere. 

• Posted

Please do not cut the patch as you can overdose from it as once the patch is cut the medication is no longer time released
    • Posted

Will avoid that thanks for the advice. I read that the singer prince died from fenicino drug. Not intention as I understand. Scary when you think about it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.