DaVinci Surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, Ladies,

I've been diagnosed with endometrial cancer.  Have yet to see the oncologist, but he prefers to perform surgery aided by the DaVinci robot.

Has anyone had this type of surgery?  Can you tell me what to expect?

Thank you!

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lynda

I think you will find that patients having any hysterectomy that is less invasive than the old abdominal method is very fortunate as I have read lots of posts on this site of the actual wound being the worst part of the op.  I had a vaginal hysterectomy 18 months ago and I can honestly say it was a walk in the park.  I was fortunate that mine was to deal with a prolapse and to repair my bladder and I did not have cancer.  However, a quick recovery from the actual op is always a real plus.  I was going for walks a week after my op and back to running at 6 weeks post op.  I can honestly say I had no pain at all except for a litte soreness the night after the op.  I only took paracetamol and ibuprofen for a couple of days afterwards and then needed nothing at all.  I think the DaVinci machine involves a couple of small keyhole entries into the body but otherwise invasion is minimal, so recovery from those wounds I would think would be without problem.

I wish you well but definitely think you are fortunate to have been offered this method of operation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Shani x

• Posted

Hi, Shani,

Thanks for your response.  I do feel fortunate to be able to have this type of  surgery, especially after reading what happened to other women who had the open surgery.  I know that there's lots of pain and that recovery for them is much, much slower.  I wrote in because I needed support and information from all the caring, wonderful women who responded to me; you among them.  I wish you the best, and will keep everyone posted! xxx Lynda

• Posted

Stay strong Lynda. What age are you if you don't mind me asking? You can beat this. We are all here for you. Hugs from afar (New Zealand).

• Posted

Hi, Robyn!

I turned 67 this year; just retired from my job at end of 2015.  This was not what I envisioned how my retirement would begin!  

Went and saw the doctor yesterday and had all my pre-op work done at the hospital after that.  I've been booked for surgery on Monday. They plan to do robotic surgery, and remove my uterus, etc. through my vagina, which is fine with me!  smile

Bless you for writing!  By the way, I'm in the American southwest.  I think that being able to find and offer love and support to each other from such distant corners of the world is amazing.  Hugs to you, too!

• Posted

I agree that the feeling of the loss of your 'womanhood' varies enormously and must be very hard for younger women of child-bearing age but it is also much to do with self-confidence being lost.  I was 62 when diagnosed with a prolapsed womb and bladder but having had two children (now grown up) and also living on my own, the prospect of losing my womb was not an issue.  But a month before the op I met a new man and had to tell him of my problem very early on in our relationship.  I thought he would run a mile but he was brilliant and stayed with me throughout the weeks before and after the op, and looked after me for the 6 weeks recovery time.  We are still together and my self-confidence with regard to my body has never been better. I think it is very important to have the support and reassurance of your partner to help you realise that you are still the same person and no less a woman after the op.

Good luck to everyone out there!

Shani

• Posted

I think that's wonderful!  There are some good men out there!  smile  It makes all the difference when you are lucky enough to have a supportive partner!  I think that women who have had to lose their lady parts are still women, strong women!  I am older, 67, so that makes it easier for me, too. Good luck to you, too!  Hugs,

Lyna

• Posted

Hi lynda, I had a total hyterectomy aided by the DaVinci robot for endometrial cancer in March 2016.  I stayed overnight in the hospital and went home the next morning.  I was told the surgery was a success and am cancer free.  I did not need any futher treatment.  It took me a good 8 weeks before I started feeling back to normal,  Was very tired at first but feel great now.  I did not have a lot of pain after surgery like some have stated here (gas pain in shoulders). Just some soreness and discomfort but no major pain.  Keep up with pain medication as your doctor orders , after a few days I was able to get  by with Motrin.  Please feel free to ask me any questions you may think of.  I am 57 years old and had already gone thru menopause so I didnt have any problems with that.  I am also a retired nurse.  I would highly reccomend the robotic surgery, your recovery time is much faster, and you have less bleeding and post op problems. I know this is a scary time for you but please remember that endometrial cancer is very curable.  I wish you well.
    • Posted

I'm curious. Did you have any staging surgery to determine if the cancer had spread or whetheradditional treatment was needed?

• Posted

Hi Smiley, 

Good to hear bout your speedy recovery. I had the open incision op as my Doctor said he need to view whether there are any sign of swell or cancer cell spreading to lymph nodes. Fortunately there's none and staging surgery is stage 1A. Yes, was given an answer as cancer-free patient like you BUT I am still been monitored/reviewed every 3 months to check sign or symtoms of relapse. I am curious and would said we are not cancer-free but cancer-survivor. We are to watch our diet as most cancer has to and the fear of cancer recurrence will never slip our mind!

• Posted

Hi virginias, Yes I did!  It was done at the time of my surgery.  I had hystoscopy before the hysterectomy.  And they also did additional biopsies and lymph node biopsy to be sure it had not spread at time of surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

I was able to have lymph nodes and muscle biopsy taken during the DaVinci surgery.  Was told it was an early stage cancer with no spread to lymph nodes or deep muscle.  I have to go back in 6 months for follow up, and will be monitored every 6 months for a while , then once a year.  I was also told to loose weight as obesity can contribute to recurrence. Good Luck, how long ago did you have surgery?  I have my follow up coming up in a few weeks, I am a bit nervous, but remaining positive. I have wonderful doctors and am lucky I live in an area with wonderful access to the best hospitals , I am from Boston Massachusetts area.

• Posted

Hi Smiley and everyone else. Thank you for the info on your staging surgery. Mine was 4 monthly ago and quite extensive (29lymph nodes removed, all negative). I am also 1A but I still feel uncomfortable in my pelvis area, especially when I stand. I'm fine horizontal...(not being funny here??)...I can do most things but it just feels achy. I also have numbness in my left thigh. I never would have done the staging surgery if I'd knowni would feel like this. I'm hoping it is still going away. Anybody else having issues or can comment on their staging surgery outcome? Thank you in advance.

• Posted

Hi, Virginias,  I had my TAH with removal of lymph nodes 2 weeks ago.  I'm glad that you got a good result.  I also feel achy, burning and wierd where everything "used to be." I asked my doctor about how my bladder and intestines would settle in where my uterus was, and he said that really, it's just a small space and not to worry.  However, my bladder does feel as though it's out of center, if that makes sense, and my colon tends to feel the same way.  

In my case, the results of the initial biopsy were not as accurate as the results obtained because of my surgery, so I'm glad of that.  I think having a TAH affects different people differently, because of the differences in ability to heal.  Some take more time than others!  Please try to take it easy!

xx Lynda 

• Posted

The feelings you are getting are just from everything being manhandled during surgery. Those organs don't have sensory in space nerves that tell us where in our body they are. The place where uterus was is pretty small & it doesn't leave a big gap to be filled. Everything in there is totally surrounded by tendons, muscles, tissues etc. So all that has been dissected away slightly from uterus so they could then lift it out, but there's no big gap left in there.

• Posted

Hi Lynda, my hysterectomy was fine. No recovery issues to speak of. I was swimming at 6 weekscand feeling good. Not so, on this second round. I can swim befit is horizontal and I am trying to take it easy. Some days I actually don't even think about it.bi used to take my body for granted it functionedso well. Now it is the rare exception that I don't think about how I feel. I'm sick of this feeling and I have decided to move past it, not feed it more attention. I'm just wondering if others have experienced this. To date no one has responded to this.

• Posted

Hi, Virginias,  

You've been through a lot, a LOT.  You are one brave woman!  I hope that things continue to improve for you--and you will get past this!

xx Lynda

• Posted

Hehe. I've watched enough surgery to see why there is so much post-op pain!!

• Posted

I appreciate knowing more about the dissection, too. I just wanted to have the surgery so badly that I didn't think about the recovery process much at all...wanted to be rid of all of it, as soon as I could be.  

• Posted

Hi Smiley, I had my surgery about 5 months ago. Had 1st review last month. For me, oncologist did not remove any lymph nodes as he mentioned no sign of cancer spreading. He removed omentum and did pelvic wash and it's negative. Yes, I still suffer lower back pain and pulling muscles both side of pelvic. Wonder how long it will take to fully recover

• Posted

I had no sign of spread either and full containmenteithin the origin site, good blood, good CT. I wonder why my surgeon put me through this. In fact he made it siutlike not doing it was not recommended and not an option. I just did it. Now I need to get past it. Difficult but not impossible.
    • Posted

Well, perhaps your doctor was just trying to be careful; but that could have been considered at the initial surgery.  Still, you are doing well, and will get past this!  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.