day 1

Posted , 3 users are following.

been prescribed Orlistat today by my GP and I'm a little scared- mainly due to the side effects I read in the leaflet that came with them. So if anyone could shed light I would be really grateful. The whole' anal leakage' thing terrifies me! Does this only happen when you eat too much fat? Also as I am on the contraceptive pill I understand that diarrhoea can cause the pill to be ineffective, however as Orlistat effect absorption will this also affect the effictiveness of my pill?

Hi all and thats for such a helful forum look forward to hearing from you

Kerz xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerz,

Don't worry, I've been on the tablets for a month now and haven't had any accidents ! It seems to me as long as you keep to under 15g of fat a meal everything is ok. I did have one occasion when I must have been just over and did have quite bad stomach cramps and had to go to the loo, but I didn't have to run there or anything. I write down everything I eat, and tot it up as I go along, think this really helps.

I take regular medication and rang up map to ask them whether the orlistat made any difference as like you I was thinking it maybe affected how the tablets worked, but I was assured that taking the orlistat makes no differerence to any other medication smile

Hope this helps :!:

• Posted

Hi Katia,

Thank you for your reply, you've helped put my mind at rest! Took my first pill at lunchtime today so fingers crossed!no accidents :run: ! !

I'm going to take you advice of writing everything down as I think this will really help me keep on track with everything.

Hope you don't mind me asking but as you've been on the pills for a month now how much have you lost?

:lol: Kerz

• Posted

Hi there.

I am getting weighed on Friday as it is the end of my first month. I feel I have done ok, so hope to have lost between 8lb and a stone.

Have had no side effects but have stuck to a low fat diet. To be honest it is fear of the side effects that keep me on track lol.

Can honestly say this is the first time I have dieted for a month without even wanting to cheat, I think the support, both from my gp, this site and map has been excellent.

I am really taking one day at a time, but looking forward to being a size smaller for Christmas :D :D :D :D

Dont be worried about taking the tabs, they are a great help and you will soon get into a routine. I wish you all the best. You will find everyone here friendly (and in the same boat) so just ask any questions you want and they will try to help.

Best Wishes

• Posted

Hi Kerz,

I've lost half a stone in a month, which for me is quite a lot as I haven't got a huge amount to lose in the first place. I was put on these pills because of a medical condition which has seen me getting bigger throughout the year sad

I do find keeping a food diary really helpful, that way you can't really go over the max your allowed. Haven't been out for a meal since I've been on them though as don't know what I could eat and really really don't want the repercussions that would follow :!:

Good luck, hope all goes well.

• Posted

Thanx everyone for replying!!

Keep in touch and let me know how you are all getting on

:D xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.