Day 1

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've just started on 10mg dose of Cit and was wondering when the best time of the day was to take them, some people seem to think just before bed is best, but Dr said 'anytime'. Thanks for advice from your experiences on how the next 2-4 weeks will pan out, here's hoping its not too bad!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I would start them when you do not have too much on. I started them and was zonked out and sick and could not manage to do much, first side effects for me were awfull, but not everybody has the same. I could not drive or concentrate at work, after 3 days I had to stop. Good luck 
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm on day 19 so have only recently started them, I did not have bad side effects but would be a little dizzy 2 hours after taking them for an hour but this dropped daily. I take mine first thing in the morning as I was worried about nightmares etc. I can feel them working but I still suffer some times but it's getting better. 

good luck

• Posted

Hello.  The first month to 6 weeks is when the body is adjusting to the effects of this drug.  At first, one feels under a chemical cosh, but as the weeks and months go by, there is some relief.  I've been on Citalopram for about 4 years, on and off.  I think it has helped my particular episode of clinical depression, but to keep a balance, I suggest exercise, long, long walks.  I also suggest getting some back-up with a short run of counselling.  This unholy trinity of drug/exercise/counselling offer a broader scope to just drug treatment.  Every one who has ever suffered from meeting 'the black dog' will recognise how hard life is. Best of luck.

• Posted

I couldnt agree more with Josie.  I unfortunately couldnt continue to take citalopram due to counter reactions but I did follow my GPs advice on getting more exercise.  Nothing too intense to start with is a critical issue.  The tendency for those of us under crisis from depression or anxiety is the 'all or nothing approach'.  Little steps.  A short walk every day to start with is all you need.  I go swimming regularly, nothing too strenuous, just a half hour or so every few days swimming slowly up and down.  The commitment to doing it regularly is very important, not the intensity or distance etc etc.  Once you get into the habit of doing something on a regular basis, your mood will automatically lift.  The endorphins produced by regular exercise are amazingly good at balancing mood swings.  Easy to say oh I dont feel up to it today but 10 mins of walking etc., later and you will be so grateful you made the effort.  
  • Posted

Hi I have been on Citalopram for a few weeks now, started with 20mg but reduced to 10mg because of the side effects. I lost my appetite for a couple of weeks and couldn't sleep and anxiety was worse. I am eating now and sleeping better, my anxiety is better now thou still sometimes anxious in the mornings for a while. I started with taking mine at night time but the GP told me to take in the morning, I found this better. I would say perserve as it does improve and everybody has different side effects, it takes a while for the body to stabilise. 
  • Posted

When I first got prescribed them I was on a very low dose - 5mg and was told to take them about an hour before bedtime.  When I later was prescribed 20mg the doctor said not to take them at night as they affect your sleep pattern and that it would be preferable to take them earlier in the day.  I think you'll need to see what works best for you but given the known side affects on sleep, maybe not taking them late at night would be the best idea.
  • Posted

I take 40mg at around 7am, this works best for me. I dread to think what my dreams would be like if I took my pill at night as my dreams are super vivid already. I function well during the day if I take it in the morning too. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi, I started on sertraline and moved on to citalopram and the cross over was pretty much seamless without any side effects so i cant really comment on that but i take my 40mg citalopram every night just before bed at around 10pm. I have always done this as i felt they would make me feel sleepy when i first started taking them and hopefully if i had any side effects then i would already be asleep. I have never thought about the comments about dreams so i dont really know if they affect mine but i do have some very strange ones. That is the least of my worries when it comes to the reason why i take citalopram. Hope this helps in any way
  • Posted

Hi PRH,

I was on Cit but not on it anymore as it didn't agree with me.

However, I would def. take them at bedtime as they make you very drowsy!

Good luck.

Zoe x

• Posted

I recently changed from morning to evening because I was feeling so sleepy during the day. That made a difference and I will remain on my 40 mgs per night just before I go to bed. It is a matter of personal experiment however.

If I have any advice, it is don't look for side effects, they may not happen.

• Posted

Thanks for advice, it does seem to be an individual choice at the end of the day. I do exercise gym/cycle so do keep active. Day 3 now and taking cit in the morning. Perhaps feeling a little more anxious at the moment and lacking energy, not sleeping that well (but Dr doesn't want to prescribe anymore sleeping meds for me at the moment). Hopefully things will settle down, I know it's early days.
  • Posted

I would go with what the doc. said.  10mg is a very mild dose.  I took mine first thing in the morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.