Day 1

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

Today is day 1 one of my recovery. I have tried to give up alcohol a few times before but hopefully this time will be different. I'm 28 years old and have drank almost every day for 13 years. There are times when i think i'm controlling it and other periods where it's controlling me. I'm getting to the age now though where I need to accept that drink isn't a good fit for me and needs to be left behind. Whilst almost all my happiest memories are of good drinking/drug taking sessions so are all my worst and i can't be bothered with the shame, sickness and anxiety and having no food in the house anymore (as well as all the other problems it brings that we all know them intimately). I no longer want to be defined by alcohol. I want to pursue my other interests and be healthy and happy.

I have been to AA but like so many other on this forum the higher power element it doesn't sit well so if anyone has any tips for me I would be extremely grateful. 

Thanks you in advance smile

2 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Tre

How are you doing, haven't heard from you for a few days so just sending you my very best wishes, hoipe all is well with you.

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

I'm pleased you are doing so well, Lizzie. Keep going! I'm concerned that, having had Christmas I've got in the habit of having a drink with lunch. Not drinking in the afternoon like I did back in the day, which is good, but last couple of days needing a drink by about 5 pm, got a bit shaky yesterday, waited til 6 then had 2 large glasses of wine with evening meal, so felt fine, making 4 in total for the day - could be worse. Seeing GP on Thursday for blood test results and making new year resolution to get it under control again like I had it 18 months ago. Praying that God will help me to get motivated again and help me not to fancy a drink. Happy New Year!
    • Posted

Hi h1954

Thanks for your support, it really helps.  I pray too that The Lord will help you, though I have found that prayers can be answered in the oddest of ways some times.  I will keep you in my prayers of course.  

You'll have read above about my consultation with gp last night, I hope yours goes as well as mine did.  I think I am very blessed with my gp, she is to me an answer to prayer, as has been this forum.  I look for The Lord to give me will power and strength and what he does is give me people to support me though my health problems who in their way give me strength indirectly, just like you do for me. Oddly enough, its not my actual church friends by and large where I worship - draw your own conclusions from that.

Keeping you close and keep on going, you can do it

LOve

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi, Lizzie

Thanks for your encouragement, bad day today, met old friends for a lunchtime drink and now carrying on drinking. But slowly - have a homemade lasagne now in the oven - I generally function fine as I am doing, even when drinking. But it can't be good for me. Plan is for new year to get back to having some days each week when I don't drink and the other days to only have a drink with evening meal. Just writing that I feel panicky about the idea! Pray that our Lord gives us both the strength, encouragement and whatever else we need. May the peace of Christ rule in our hearts xx

• Posted

Hi

Sorry you are having a bad day.  I will pray for you, starting right now 

God Bless

Lizzie

• Posted

Thank you

Don't know how much wine I've had, but feeling angry and bad about myself. Gone to bed now. Tomorrow is another day.

Bless you Lizzie

H x

• Posted

Dear h1954

Wake up to this forgiven and a new person in the light of Christ, He gives us a fresh start every new dawn.

God Bless

Lizzie xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.