DAY 1 - codeine withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

HABIT - up to 300mg of codeine a day - sometimes codeine phosphate or n+ / cocodamol.

Apart from a bit of a belly ache and my legs feeling achy I am feeling alright. I did buy a packet of co codamol today and promised myself to just take 2 if and when I need to. Not the point I know but fro, the amount I was taking I didn't feel I could stop dead and take none at all. 

My my question is.. how were u guys in the following days? How did u cope and did you take anything to stop the awful withdrawals that are sure to hit me like a ton of bricks? 

N XO 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Its a low dose but you will probably start to feel the worst on day 3 and 4.

Sweats, shivers, cramps and loads of anxiety.

I used gabapentin which helped massively.

Im 3 weeks in now.

You may feel crappy for 14 days.

Some taper off but i cant do it that way as no control.

Drink water and try to eat.  Helps to cut coffee down as you will struggle sleeping.

Try to shower as it helps, you will smell with all the crap coming out your system.

Good luck and stick with it.

Your confidence will come back

• Posted

I had a very successful taper off codeine after I had been using maybe 500-600mg a day usually through cold water extraction. I admitted my addiction to my GP and he put me on a taper progranme. Same dose tgat I was using for 2 weeks then drop it 30mg per week from that date until clean. To be honest I use other things like benzos for anxiety ans also use sone MJ but I found once I got down to about half my dose I really started to feel it. Dr postponed my reduction another coupke weeks to ease the withdrawal ( I actually started taking seizures on top of the usual withdrawal and it now turns out I am epileptic). From my personal experience the only way to come off a dose that high is by tapering. Your dr is there to help...usually anyway. Admit your issue and he must prescribe the same current dose and reducr from thrre. I am actually years free from codeine and its so worth getting off. Many other less harmful more enjoyable thibgs to experience in life than a weak but extremely addictive opioid

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.