Day 1 of morphine cold turkey

Posted , 6 users are following.

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but have been reading, and writing on, this thread for so long, that I know that you guys rock and can provide some support.

Some of you know my story, but it has gotten worse. 

About 13 years ago I had a bad fall (while dancing nonetheless) and ended up with a shattered skull and emergency craniotomy. Despite the 3 plates in my head, my skull never healed—and skull fractures, like any fracture—hurt like a b***h. 

At first I had no feeling in my head, and my brain surgeon joked I 'may be a numbskull forever', but then the feeling came back, with a vengeance. 

I began taking high levels of codeine, and was soon switched to morphine. I was up to 365 mg of morphine a day (a mix of long and short acting—I don't find the long acting help that much because I can't control things like bright lights, noises, stress, my dog whacking me in the head.....

My doctor retired, and while I was finding a new one I drove 3-4 hours each way to a pain/opioid clinic every two weeks. I then found a local doctor who seemed willing to treat me, and cancelled the clinic, but he then reduced me by 25% our first visit, then another 10%, then another 10%.... Perhaps needless to say my pain was becoming harder and harder to control or live with. My pain scores more than doubled, and I couldn't work after 3 pm (I run a business and used to be a night person).  

I never misused my opioids, I don't think, some days I would take a few more than others—like when a crazy weather system came in (pressure also kills me), but always had enough left to get through the month/2 weeks or whatever. Sometimes I would chew up the time release to make them work immediately.... (I would also often take them with vodka to help them work), ok maybe that would be 'misuse', but still, I am a professional and no one I know ever thought I had a 'problem'. If anything they hate to see me in pain. 

But 'new' doctor and I (not just new to me, but the field of medicine) just didn't see eye to eye on anything. What ever happened to the duty to relive pain and suffering? I was in more and more pain, and my work/family life were suffering. He even accused me of taking drugs I didn't, because he didn't know how to read the urine test! 

So, I dumped him and even launched a complaint after many such 'episodes'. He told me that my old 'pain/opioid clinic' 3-4 hours aways, would take me back. 

So, that is where I went yesterday. First the 'evil' nurse (others in the waiting room told me that, I had never met her before) told me the doctor 'may not take you'. What? I have had this appointment for 6 weeks, and the doctor I complained about promised they would. 

Then I went in a room with her AND the Doc, the doc is sweet, so I guess he uses her as 'the muscle'. They told me I would now have to visit WEEKLY (a new policy) and would be reducing me by 10% every two weeks. I just cried.... I have one car in the family and my partner has a combination of medical appointments and court all the time. I also volunteer at a society whose meetings are Mondays AND my yoga classes are Mondays as well. So there goes the 'mindfulness' aspect of pain management.

But they didn't seem to believe me or care that I sat 7 hours in a hot car to get my meds (with my partner and dog). Aside from the paying for gas and taking 20% of the week off work, paying a weekly dispensing fee on two meds, more than quadruples what I was paying for them. How can someone work while taking every Monday off (I have been looking for a 'real' job). But they don't care, this whole 'opioid crisis' will affect those of us who need and use these drugs safely. Doctors are now more afraid of losing their licenses than they are about treating their patients—and that has got to stop!

So, I figured I had a couple of options:

1) Jump off the nearest bridge, because I can't live with pain or with driving that way each week (I told them that too)

2) Find my meds on-line or on the street and have no idea what I am actually getting (in come the statistics of chronic pain patients dying from overdose who wouldn't otherwise)

3) Quit cold turkey and see how I feel.

So, I chose #3, for now. It is only day 1 and so far all I have is a headache (duh) and am hot/cold all at once. 

I just made some mushroom tea and do have some poppy tincture if things get real bad, but I am not looking forward to the next few days. At the same time, I just can't afford the other option (particularly if I can't work), but options #1 and #2 are still on my mind. 

So, I did look up 'clean Kratom' from the other post and was considering ordering some, but don't think it will get here in time. I can't make it to my appointment next Monday as my partner needs to be in court. They didn't care, or believe me ('your partner has bone scans and court?' 'Yes our lives really suck right now'wink and honestly just treated me like a junkie lying to get meds. It is a sad, sad world when doctors are treating their patients in a way that can make them lose their livelihoods or go cold turkey, but I don't  provide any other options. 

Anyway, I can't stop crying, mostly because of the state of this messed up world. But look forward to calling them Friday to cancel my appointment. I told them that those of us with chronic pain will be the real casualty of the crisis; the doctor seemed sympathetic, his brute of a nurse, not so much.

If anyone has any tricks to get through this, please let me know. I was taking (more than I should due to my old/new doctor doubling my script one month accidentally) 230-260 mg/day of morphine up until today. 

You may hear from me tomorrow... Or may not. But I still don't know how I will manage the pain. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Her is info on a detox method..hot baths and OJ-lotso of high sugar OJ...plus people also commented on what helped them... anti diarrhea anti nausea pills..Clonodine to help sleep ( or Tylenol PM to help stop RLS) 

RLS may be the worst--since you can't even sleep in peace.

GOOD LUCK.. it often takes 5 days to feel normal..tough it out if you can.. I know others this has helped, so maybe it can for you!

good luck

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thanks, now on day 4. I have clonodine, but it makes me weak and zombie-like. All I can eat are rice crackers and OJ — think I've lost 10 pounds already; and can only sleep about an hour at a time. 5 days isn't too bad, I have heard 14 (too long, I have things to do) but a week off is worth it and cheaper than the alternatives. Still in pain though.... Guess I have to learn to live with that. 

• Posted

Today (#4) may be the worst. I have a week's worth of pills that I haven't touched and even some needles from first aid I was doing on someone else. The temptation is killing me, have never shot anything myself, but just some pain relief and a way to make them last...

I can't believe this was done to me. I was managing perfectly fine.... now I am looking to see what vein may be best.... (just being honest). 

I guess you don't realize how deep you are in until you hit the bottom. 

I have always suggested to everyone else not to go cold turkey, for this very reason, but then I do it myself. Maybe I should practice what I preach, but really had few other options. 

As they say in the forms you sign 'withdrawal is uncomfortable but not life-threatening' (you just feel like you are dying, or would rather die at times). 

• Posted

Hi Judi, 

If you're interested, I can explain to you a 3-part protocol for managing opiate withdrawal. It consists of three substances-Kratom, Akuamma, and Agmatine. It works amazingly well. Additionally, I believe that staying properly hydrated and managing your electrolytes would also be very helpful. I can explain how to do that as well. Just let me know if you would like more information on this topic. 

• Posted

I stopped the clonodine today to try and have more energy—yeah not so much. It is nice and sunny and fall is coming, but I still can't get outside. 

Is anyone out there? Advice, please?

Or do I just keep on truckin'? I guess that's the only way. 

• Posted

Day 7...

Still don't have much of an appetite (or any will to prepare food) and still can't sleep more than 2 hours at a time, but haven't had clonodine for 3 days now. Still not able to 'function' or run my biz... I guess a decade of morphine will do that. 

Been taking over-the-counter acetaminophen with codeine for pain (with vodka 'cause old habits die hard), and the urge to stick a needle in the back of my hand is lessening... 

Trying to get into a pain clinic, but only have a month to find a family doctor to refer me (the doctor who did my referral somehow wasn't good enough). What a system. We the patients are screwed. 

But hey, who needs pain relief to function. Treat the dying and punish the living... 

This is my last post. If you don't hear from me again it's because I chose #1 or 2. 

It's not easy, but can be done. That being said, life with pain is not something to look forward to. 

OK back to trying to sleep and/or function. 

• Posted

Hi judi 

sorry to hear your not well,however what i dont understand is why you want to stop morphine when your taking it for pain ...ok morphine does ( as you know ) change the way you feel and make you like a zombie but if your taking it for legitimate pain then why stop it ?

for any medical person not to understand patients taking morphine is unacceptable ....too many people prescribed opiates by doctors are now looked at like addicts which is wrong and doctors and nurses should be treating them 

in regards to getting through your current symptoms ... you can try :

1) gabapentin ... this needs to be prescribed but can help with restless legs and can also help with insomnia 

2) buscopan ... stops any stomach cramps and also bowel cramps ... these are common symptoms when stopping opiates 

3) lopramide ( immodium )  ... diarrhea is common when stopping opiates as the bowels relax ( since opiates contract the bowels causing constipation ) ... and immodium helps really well 

4) valerian root .... this is avalible at chemists and healthstores and is known as the "natural valium " ... another worthwhile supplement to take during this period 

clonodine is quite strong and only helps with the increased heart rate during opiate withdrawal ....you may have been better with propropanol ( atenol ) which essentially does the same job 

i wont lie to you ... the next few months will be tough but please stay positive ... i was taking methadone for 8 years and managed to reduce to nothing ( finished oct 2016 ) and its took me a good 8 months to feel ok ....   but stick with it .... councelling helps but only when you feel better 

i wish you well judi and please keep us posted    

best wishes 

bri xx

• Posted

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the message. Just had another sleepless night (even though I took two over-the-counter sleep aids and a lorazepam from my partner—I got maybe 3 hours....). 

I didn't want to quit morphine, but the system gave me no choice. I no longer have a family physician and simply can't afford to take every single Monday off work to drive all day. 

Morphine has never given me the 'zombie' thing, just pain relief (although hypogonadism has been an issue for me, I don't really miss menstruating that much). 

I am allergic to gabapentin, took it once and it almost killed me—swollen face and throat, it was scary. 

My bowls are not a problem right now, they never were on morphine either, I eat really well (just not enough lately).  I have taken Valerian root before and may even have some left (it it still has its kick).  

I just REALLY need to sleep. I am starting to hallucinate from sleep-deprivation. Never had problems sleeping in my life!!!!  Haven't has any restless legs either, maybe I'm lucky. 

I would have been happy staying on the same dose I had been taking for about 7 years (that increased gradually over about 3 years). My side effects were manageable/non-existent; but then came the 'crisis'—so now everyone is an addict/junky, and being reduced to 90 mg or less a day (with preference to long-acting). However, I find that pressure changes, lights, noise, stress, a knock on the head, etc., make me need more control and I am not (can not) spending $800+/month on meds (without the loos of work) that don't even work for me anymore, or at least the dose/type prescribed. I may as well hit the streets.

Oh, the evil brute of a nurse suggested I could get methadone locally without a script. Isn't she sweet.

Take care and thanks again. I need to sleep and to get rid of my pain.... But now that I don't have a family doctor can't even get into the pain clinic I was previously referred to.  It's a mess, I'm a mess, and I certainly can't take months of this....

peace and thanks

Judi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.