Day 10

Posted , 7 users are following.

This is been a long 10 days. I’m hoping that I rounded the corner. Does anyone know why I’m still totally breathless when trying to do almost anything?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

This is massive surgery, and takes its toll on the body. I am 7 months post. During the first 6 weeks I spent probably 90% of the time in or on the bed. Too exhausted to do anything. Even after that.until probably around the 3 month mark, I needed to rest fairly often. It's a very very long recovery.

• Posted

Your biggest problem is your expectations. Really? Ten days into a year-long recovery and you expected...what? I was still drooling on my pajamas at six weeks.

Step 1: Get rid of all your expectations and timetables. They only mess with your head. Unlike a hip or shoulder, you CANNOT push a knee to recovery. It alone controls how long this will take for you.

Step 2: Don't compare your recovery to that of anyone else...ever. You will go through what you're meant to go through and that may or may not coincide with anyone else's story. A "year-long recovery"? Yeah...that's pretty typical considering I've been on here for four years and have read over 30,000 posts. The first three months are hell as you deal with pain, the drugs, exhaustion and getting your ROM back. After that is the muscle rebuild so you can walk correctly, regain your balance and do stairs again like you used to. Around nine months, you should start feeling more like your old self and then dance at your one year ann-knee-versary party. Some stiffness and clunking sounds may linger a while after that.

Step 3: Forget everything I just said because you is you and no one else. You will go through this most challenging of recoveries and have your own story to tell. You will absolutely experience advances, setbacks and plateaus. Your tools are time, work and patience.

"Never give up. Never surrender!!!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Firstly speak to your Dr to make sure you have no Pulmonary clots . I know how you feel though. When I had my 1st tkr I was breathless just getting out of bed, resting heart rate rose from my normal low 60's to 90ish and I had the shakes! Saw the same day emergency drs who tested and everything was ok but1 dr noticed my normal blood count is higher than average but dropped tho no transfusing needed after the op. Put me on iron tablets and after a few days I was almost back to normal. might be an idea to get yours checked out too and compare your normal levels to present. Hope you feel better soon! Good luck!!!!

• Edited

Good advice from Kim. You should get checked if you're unusually breathless. I was booked for a scan to check for blood clots after pain and swelling in my calf. I was told if I experienced breathlessness to go straight back to the hospital. Better safe than sorry. Good luck, it's probably a simple explanation and might be anaemia due to blood loss, but see a doctor.

• Posted

Hi I wonder if you are being given Tramadol or Ultram as it is sometimes know, I literally nearly died when prescribed Tramadol for an agonising back injury.To cut a long story short my automatic breathing response slowed down to a standstill and I had to keep on consciously breathing for the rest of the time whilst I sat in my chair unable to get up.

It appears a small percentage of recipients are prone to breathing difficultues.When I told my Doctor she said no one has ever died from stopping breathing as an after effect of taking it, and that I would have resumed the automatic breathing response if I became unconscious,so much for that!

" Tramadol may cause decrease in your ability to breathe, a condition called respiratory depression. Life-threatening respiratory depression can occur if you take too much tramadol. ... You may not be able to take tramadol if you have severe asthma or any lung conditions that causes breathing problems.23 Jul 2014 "

Obviously I don't want to alarm anybody but that was my experience whilst taking it..

• Posted

I am almost 5 months out from a revisonal knee surgery still really having a hard time climbing stairs and I'm out of breath from it especially after doing a few things wish I had answer.

• Posted

The answer is that you have to do the muscle rebuild. First you concentrate on endurance which takes care of the breath "thing" and then you proceed with strengthening. The end result is that you will walk correctly, regain your balance and be able to do stairs like a normal person again. This is not easy and takes months to complete. One usually starts this at around 3 months with a decent ROM...

Muscle Rebuild

To succeed, you will need focus and dedication. It all pays off...big time. By 8 months, I was doing 11,000 steps a day with no swelling or pain and at 14 months, I was able to climb steps two at a time, alternating legs, without holding onto anything. There is no magic here...just hard work that pays huge dividends for your future. My ROM went from -1 / +123 to 0 / +133 by the end of year one. You can do this in a gym or at home with exercise bands.

PS: You will also need a continuing exercise program to keep the knee active for the rest of your life. Every long-term patient reports that when they stop being active, stiffness returns. I'm four years post-op and have zero issues with my knee. Just a heads up...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.