Day 11 ... 20mg ... how much longer

Posted , 7 users are following.

On citalopram for depression and anxiety forcing myself to function but getting no joy from anything and increasingly anxious I never will again ... help please .... life just seems so bleak

1 like, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Xanax or Klonophin will kick in almost instantly
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Frightened to take anything else particularly as I'm working tonight. . Know it's early days but feel I'm going to be stuck like this ... had depression about 3 yrs ago(many difficult circumstances at once ) but this one's floored me ... as a 49yrold mature student in psychology can understand where it's came from( exam stress and another break up ) but also feel.bad as I tried coping alone ... now just existing till the meds kick inx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It took a while for me to feel ok these tablets just take the edge off they are not a cure. To feel better you have to work with the medication and it does not happen over night. My advice is to surround yourself with positive people and set yourself goals each day or each couple of days and try and think positive ( hard i know) u must stay strong. If in a months time you still feel like this you may need to go back to doctors and maybe think about upping the dose or changing it all together. Xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Citalopram takes time to take effect (personally I was over 2 weeks) but it really helped me get back on the level.  Stay with it, be kind to yourself, talk to people you trust and accept that you are unwell and that things WILL get better.  Slowly there will be a better day and eventually the good days will outnumber the bad.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Please keep going. It takes between 4 and 6 weeks to work properly. If then they still don't make you feel better get the dose upped. I'm on 40mg and I am finally seeing my motivation return and episodes of anxiety and depression reduce dramatically. There is light, please don't loose hope
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Not Again,  I am so sorry you are having such a hard time of things.  I wish there were something I could do for you!  You are still very early on the Cital, and have a way to go before the meds really kick in for you.  But, you are on your way to getting better, and you WILL be feeling better soon!!!  We all know how hard it is in the beginning to believe this, but it is true!  Damn this thing we have anyway!!  Others have no idea what we go through, and there is no way they can understand it!  But there is help for us, and we just have to be as strong as we can be, and hang in there with these meds so they can work on us. 

I know I am thankful for Cital, for it has helped me a great deal!  And I am thankful for this forum, for it too has helped me as well.  I just wish I had known about it when I first started Cital 3 years ago!  You just keep posting as often as you can, we are here for you, to help you through the weeks ahead, until you are feeling better...and you WILL!!  Even if you don’t think so right now.

You still should give your doctor a call, it is good to keep in touch with them to keep them updated.  They need to know how things are going, as they might be able to add a med along with the Cital to help you along...I am not a doctor, but I have read where others take something along with it to get through a really bad day or night.  Something to think about.

In the mean time, keep plugging away one day at a time.  Just get through each day, and not worry about the next day until it arrives, then get through that day and so on.  Try to find something you do enjoy, and make yourself do it even if it is for a short time.  Before you know it, you will be back to yourself once again, and you will find joy again too! 

I am sending up Prayers for you, and a BIG {{{{HUG}}}} too!  You take care of yourself, and remember, we are here for you!!  XO

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks ... to all who replied ... worked a night shift last night and it wasn't too bad. took 12th day citalopram at 8am and on the plus side I managed to sleep most of the day away ...but now quite anxious and agitated. going to a meet up group quiz night got little motivation or enthusiasm but have no enthusiasm for staying in with my thoughts either ... worried I'll never feel any joy again ... or even at peace with myself
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You will. It may take a few more days for it to fully kick in, maybe even a week. But I'm almost positive you will feel like a different person. I know I did. The best part is the racing thoughts will stop and so will the anxiety. If you still feel this way in two weeks I would go see the doctor again. Maybe try .25 xanax or klonophin. It's not for everyone. But I take 40 mlg Celexa and 1 mlg xanax for my anxiety and depression. Hope this helps. Wish you the best of luck.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks ... atm don't really want to take anything for anxiety .. I've got propanolol here but trying to avoid it .. well that's another day gone so sick of marking time tI'll I feel better .. went out at least trying my best to help myself ... thanks for the positive comments hopefully I'll feel more like myself soon , instead of this nervous person who can only see the dark side of life I've become and who I hate
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up