Day 11

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I am on day 11 of full hip replacement of right hip. I am 55 and obese. The only issue I have is when I stand up if I am not totally upright my right hip is in agony. Is this normal and what is it as I would of thought the hip is positioned correctly. Thanks in advance 

Lisa 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi lisa,

It could be the weight you are placing on the hip. Have you got crutches, if so make sure you have them both to stand and put the weight on them evenly as you push up you must not twist.

• Posted

Did you not have to lose any weight before the surgery? My doctor told me I had to lose ‘at least’ 20 pounds, maybe I need to find another doctor!

Good luck, hope the pain gets better fast.

• Posted

I don’t know what 3 stone is but whatever it is I wish I could lose it lol!
    • Posted

One stone equals fourteen pounds so three stone is forty two pounds, quite a lot!
    • Posted

Goodness I wish I could lose some stones! Thank you lol.
    • Posted

Or kilos even! Just been swimming and then followed up with a Brie and avocado panini so totally negated the swim.
    • Posted

Oh that sounds so good, no way could a swim not be beneficial!!
    • Posted

Brie and avocado are very healthy indeed. Protein and essential fats. Good for bone repair!
  • Posted

Tell your doctor. One if the things that can happen is that the prosthesis get a loose and moved inside the femur causing pain.
  • Posted

Lost 35 lbs before the surgery but hospitalization and rehab and lack of exercise and I've gained 15 back.  Doc said to loose it .  First thing beyond platitudes that was something I could do to get better.

• Posted

Are you managing to sleep fairly flat? I wasn’t and had a similar sort of pain. Physio said even if I couldn’t sleep flat I should try to spend 2x 30 minutes very flat per day. This stretches out the joint and hip flexors - as they can become v tight.   Stretching it out is a relief - and you get this standing up v straight. Check with your physio. 
  • Posted

I was 56 and obese when I had my op, although I lost 21lbs before the op, it was not a requirement by the surgeon, he said it would help me in recovery if I could. Make sure when you stand that you push up with both hands. I also used to leave the operated leg outstretched whilst I stood up initially, putting most of the weight on my in operated leg. then got my crutches and put weight on it, and it did help. I was also told to go to bed for two hours every afternoon for the first 6 weeks this help reduce the fluid build up. Good luck it will get better. I am now nearly three years post op and life is great. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.