Day 12

Posted , 4 users are following.

New here.....I am on day 12 of fluoxetine. It’s been a rollercoaster. 

I had a unexpected back surgery 4 months ago from a massive disk rupture that caused the most severe pain I didn’t know it could even get that bad.   Since then I have been very anxious about getting hurt again and honestly a little depressed because I can’t do what I want.  I have dealt with anxiety my whole life but this is a new level.  

I went to see my pcp and she threw out a bunch of words, PTSD, ocd thoughts, and anxiety.   That alone was scary for me and gave me anxiety.   She put me on fluoxetine and told me she thought I should talk to someone too.   Of course I can’t get into a psychologist until oct!!!! Yes 6 weeks from now! 😳

So I am riding this fluoxetine rollercoaster.   I am nauseous and have no appetite,  I have had a few good days but I have had a few bad days where I just can’t help but cry and my anxiety is off the charts.  And I haven’t slept through the night since I started this medicine.   I am trying my best to hang tight is hopes it gets better in a few weeks.   Encouragement is always welcome!  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I am also new here. Joined today actually. I have been taking fluoxetine for almost 20 years now at various doses. It does work, but I too have noticed that it seems to suppress appetite. However, that could also be b/c of your anxiety levels which won't help appetite also. I would stick with the treatment plan b/c 12 days is still early. Most of all, I wanted to tell you that it does get better. I was on 20mg fluoxitine per day and increased to 40mg a few months ago. Now looking to increase to 50mg given I am waking up with a lot of anxiety in the morning. Although doctors don't like prescribing lorazepam, it may be needed so that you can function until the fluoxetine has effect. Hang in there and I totally understand the uneasiness with starting/changing/modifying the meds and the waiting period. It takes weeks for the full effect so try to be patient.....you'll get there!!!! 

• Posted

Welcome! It does get better. I started on 10mg a month ago and my doctor took it to 20mg...I have been in that almost a month. I take mine at night before bed. But when I first started I had no appetite, I would get dizzy, my stool changed, but that’s all normal.. when I increased to 20mg I had a few days of dizziness, but my appetite started to return. I was increased because by 2 or 3 in the afternoon I would feel a little anxious. There were times I thought about quitting but literally took it day by day. It’s worth it once your body gets use to it. Hang in there!!!!
  • Posted

Hi ro I'm sorry about your back injury I'll pray you get better soon, are you taking anything for anxiety? I'm on day 10 and yes a lot of side effects but hopefully for only a couple more weeks, it could take up to 8 weeks until we start feeling better, but everyone is different so it could be sooner, we need lots of patience.

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement.  I am not taking anything else for the anxiety so I am just pushing through.   One day at a time and sometimes one hour at a time.   My mornings seem worst and my evenings better.   I just wish I could get a good nights sleep!  I appreciate everyone’s kind words.  This is definitely not an easy road.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.