Day 12 bilateral scarf

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been following posts and absorbing all of your advice for the past few days and felt compelled to join, to share my progress and hopefully aid and support others on their journey.  

I had bunions removed in both feet 12 days ago including removal of arthritis in my left big toe.  The surgeon used traditional rather than MIS as he needed the extra access to assess and remove the arthritis.  I have only one incision in my left foot as the realignment came good with the bone cut only but two incisions in the right.  I have 2 large bandages, with padding underneath, was discharged with crutches,  lovely blue Velcro  shoes and pain killers.  

I felt some pain as the ankle block wore off at the 20 hour stage.  I doubled the quantity of the main pain killer prescribed as initially it was not really taking the edge off, I stopped taking this at day 7, stopped paracetamol 2 days ago and just on max ibuprofen currently.  Some odd pains at times but nothing major.  I have been following advice and keeping feet elevated with only short trips to the bathroom in the first week as long as wear boots and using crutches.  Have since abandoned crutches as I am better balanced without them, although I will use them as and when  I leave the house ( hoping to attend work Christmas do on Saturday for a few hours with cushions to rest my feet on !).   Can't wait until Friday afternoon when dressing change booked to see what my new tootsies look like ! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Immediate post surgery picture on right and day 6 on left, will try and find my pre picture to to post soon biggrin
    • Posted

You are doing really well. Your balance is obviously much better than mine. I found it difficult to get around in the shoes and only totally ditched the support of one crutch around the house in week 4-5. I must say that I never have God balance anyway! I bet that you are looking forward to seeing your new feet.!

• Posted

Day 14 today...unwrapping my Christmas pesent...straight toes!

I now have a light dressing over the scars and can remove this and bath in 2 days. Yippee ! I have been given a velcro splint to wear at all times  ( this will help keep my big toe in line while the bone heals) and need to continue to wear the blue boots to heal walk until my next appointment in 4 weeks.  Fells great to have the large bandages off and to see my new feet.  Very little swelling but some bruising (more on the left where the arthritis was removed) toes straight and nasty nobbles gone !

• Posted

Hi, it seems that both of us have been following posts before posting ourselves. I had the same procedure (no arthritis) my op was on 27/11 and so far OK., although losing 3 pints during the op, and extremely low bp afterwards didn't help. I stopped taking the medication after 5 days as I didn't like the effect they were having on me. Not quite pain free, but can actually feel the improvement day by day. So happy since the stitches removed , and splints put on - means that I can balance on those sexy boots I have. Still using crutches and have borrowed a high stool so I can at least cook and iron. I have never sat still for so long, and in one place, nor, have been beholden to so many for so long. It's a steep learning curve, going from one absolute control freak to  a sideliner.

now to get the house perfect for when mother-in-law comes for Christmas, lol

In between sleeping and knitting, of course

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.