Day 12 of Citalopram, are these side effects normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started Citalopram 12 days ago and ever since then I've had really sore gums which bleed when I brush them, super sore teeth which hurt when I eat and just a very sore mouth in general. I've also had intense ear ache/pressure fullness, face pain and headache. And just generally feeling like crap. I've been taking paracetamol but not really doing anything. I've told the doctor and he had prescribed me antibiotics (thinks it sounds like sinus issues but it only started when I started cit) but just wondering if anybody else had this when starting. Or what side effects did you have and when did they stop? I feel like this is torture and tempted to stop but scared of withdrawal now too! 😳

Thanks ❤

L

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Bruxism (teeth grinding and jaw clenching) is quite common so perhaps it's that? (might be doing it in your sleep too)

Headaches- yes, absolutely!

A lot of people find some side effects disappear in the first 2/3 weeks, for some they last longer.

• Edited

You did not mention your dose. I started with 5mg a day and barely have any sides.

• Posted

Oops! Sorry I'm on 20mg. That's great, I'm glad it's not too bad for you 😃

• Edited

20mg is a high dose to start on.....i go up in 2.5mg due to side effects. i, too have had lots of teeth problems since upping to 10mg 7 weeks ago - the increases often give me haw clenching pain. this time i have had very sensitive teeth and a wisdom tooth infection - Dentist said stress but i think jaw clenching and grinding caused it too.

• Edited

Bruxism is mentioned as a possible side effect in the Patient Information Leaflet and I've heard lots of people report it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.