Day 15 after ORIF ankle surgery and at a low point!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I’m new on here but I was wondering if anyone has advice or us in same boat as me.  I slipped on snow whilst walking the dogs ( without my phone oops) and got an open fracture / dislocation of my right ankle for my troubles! This all happening on the day before I started a new business with my daughter!  Can’t tell you how fed up and guilty I feel right now. 

Appreciate that all cases are different but would be nice to roughly know what to expect in next few weeks. I have an eight plate with screws and a fibre cast on. No weight bearing for 6 weeks then boot for 6 weeks. 

I have to start getting better ASAP ( don’t we all)  foolishly I was expecting to be back up and at work in 6 weeks but after a recent visit back to hospital .... fell and put broken foot down to save myself!! ..... they said could take upto 6 months. 

Any tips, ideas .... anything gratefully received.... never broken anything before and really hadn’t thought it would be this tough! I’m 53 btw 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sue. I haven't been weight bearing since 1/26 when I injured myself. I'm praying that when I go to the doctor on 3/26 he says I can start bearing weight. I'm so excited and I hope I don't overextend myself into a relapse. I have a bimolleuar fracture on my right ankle. I have a plate and four screws. I'm 56 and never broke anything on my body before. I'm still apprehensive about this whole process. The nice people on this forum have been a godsend. Only someone who been through this will understand. Just try to keep your wits about you. I pray you have a good support system. That will help immensely. Blessings always!

• Posted

Hello Beatrix, got my fingers crossed for you for 26th March!! Hope all goes well for you, and you 

I’ve just got back from fracture clinic and they given me my cast off X-ray appointment a week later than I thought, so 7 weeks in cast. Now that has made me a bit sad!!! Begging didn’t get me anywhere .... they said they are full and no appointments left for that week. Bad times!!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.