Day 2 of citalopram 20mg to treat my anxiety & depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've always had social anxiety while grown up but after having my 1 1/2 yr old depression showed itself much more. I tried to blame it on hormone fluctuation but then my Dr. had my try citalopram. On day 1 I did notice dizziness and headache but after eating a solid meal that subsided. I did also lose my train of thought while holding a convo. W/coworkers yesterday and I thought that was odd for me. Please tell me if anyone else had any stange side effects while starting this med. This is my first time reaching out for help and admiting my issues to anyone including my Dr. But I have to get well for my son now. I have a family history from my mom and sister of manic bipolar depression and anxiety but I tried to deny and fI got the battle solo as I saw it as being a failure to ask for help. Thanks for any discussion on my first step at trying to get my life under control.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephanie, I am also on my first time taking Citalopram. I'm on day 11 of 10mg and to say it's been eventful would be an understatement. The first week or so can be rough for some with many side effects but I also believe I was heading for a lot of this stuff anyway with my anxiety and depression. People with a lot more experience of this medication than me have reassuringly said these things are all normal in the beginning and will settle down. My anxiety got worse on the second day and I have had panic attacks but like I said I was heading this way and that is why I went on medication. There is fantastic support on these forums and everyone is genuinely willing each other to get well. Keep posting your experience as you'll see you are not alone on your journey.
    • Posted

Thanks so much Stephen for the support! I was also told some Dr.s Like to start off slowly with the dose (titrate) n work my way up to the full 20mg but my Dr. Didn't suggest it. I'm happy to find a site like this where I can get answers and know that I'm not alone.
  • Posted

Firstly, congratulations on taking control of your illness and getting help. You should feel very proud of yourself and you're obviously a great mum for wanting to get well for you son. The first couple of weeks on the meds can be really rough & things can seem worse before they get better, but things will get better. It can seem like a real battle with good days and bad days, but try as best you can to relax & be kind to yourself. It may be worth asking your GP for a counselling referral, it has helped me hugely. I know there are some time when you'll be climbing the walls and the middle of the night seems like the loneliest & scariest place ever but remember you're not alone x
  • Posted

Hello SMelanie11 I have been prescribed citalopram today so I'm in a similar boat with only just starting the medication.

Firstly, I think day 1, although everyone is different is too early to get any side effects. I'm sorry to hear that you have been unwell. Let's hope this is the start of your journey to recovery.

It's a time thing lovely that you've got to stick with. Give it a couple of weeks and you may notice a difference and feel the benefits of your tablet.

Have you got maybe friends or other people you can talk tw about what you've been experiencing or feel? Didn't know if a friendly face may help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.