Day 2 on sertraline and I feel really awful

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve has anxiety on and off for years, I have been on sertraline the before but at the same time I was self medicating with alcohol I really was in a bad place, I’ve been sober for over 2 years but anxiety back with a vengeance so instead or a glass of wine to calm I went to the doctor.. I took 50mg yesterday and angain this morning and I feel just awful! Sick, shakey , tremors inside, my jaw and neck are tense.. is this normal and when will this pass! I feel like going to bed for a week! 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you should ask your doctor if you could take 25mg for the first couple of weeks to maybe lessen the side effects. It depends on your situation

If you have kids / work for example. The side effects will get less but it takes its time. I'm still fairly grotty. Gone from 25 to 50 and now 75 and my stomach is not good today. It all about slow increases and patience.

Drink plenty of water..and hope you feel better soon

🦄🦄🦄🦄

• Posted

Thank you I think I will ask doctor to drop to 25 mg until I adjust,  my stomach  is gurgling and feel nauseous but I can’t eat, at least by reading threads on here it seems quite common.. hope you feel better aswell take care xxx
  • Posted

I'm feeling pretty grim myself this morning. The doctor told me to increase from 50 to 100 two days ago but i decided to only go up to 75 for a week. I'm glad I did cos i feel like I've been run over ..ugh!

🦄🦄🦄🦄

• Posted

You poor thing, if you feel like me then you have my sympathy 😊  I dont want to feel like this a second time around so maybe I’ll just stick to 50mg and ride it through... I hear such positive results from  sertraline but my god these side affects kick in quick and are insane! My pupils are dilated and jaw keeps clenching! I’m just going to avoid coffee as don’t want any more jitters ... try and relax yourself today if u can xx

• Posted

Yesterday I had no coffee after 4 and had a cup of chamomile tea and went to bed with water and my last phenerghan tablet. I slept for 7 hours and today my anxiety is not too bad but my eyes feel like p**s holes in the snow ..pardon the language but there's no other way to describe them. I'm dog tired. Having a lie down cos im fit for nothing at the min

🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

• Posted

As long it we can eventually come through the other side feeling less anxious then I hope all this is worth it! I’m now resting on sofa I’ve attempted ironing and then going on phone and not achieving anything I’m so out of it! One min I’m tired then I sit down and want to get up again URGH! I know restlessness was a common one but it’s annoying now! 
  • Posted

Stick with it if u can stay with the 50 mg if u can to the dide effects should start to die down in a wk or so i know its a long time when u feel out of ur mind and your body is already anxious enough 50mg is generally the lowest theraputic dose so try n stick with it go to bed if u need to. I know the feeling of waiting to sleep but then feeling so restless u could run a marathon im abt to up to 125mg and im tiny a size 6 not even 5 foot but i have kick ass anxiety so i’ll b the same as uz shortly but within 2 wks the se should ease and within a month - 6 weeks u should see an improvement 
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the reply, good luck  upping to 125mg, and all hope the side affects don’t last too long for you... can I ask has the sertraline helped at all? Anxiety is ruining my life and I’m desperate to feel ‘normal’ again .. I’m sticking to 50mg and going to ride out the next few weeks xx
    • Posted

yeah sert helps i think please stick with it i know its rough i get just abt every side effect going so not looking forward to upping mine but by the 3 wk mark u should see glimmers of hope for me its i realise i havent thought abt anxiety for a few minutes then that spells gradually get longer then u’ll maybe have a crappy few days then a good day its a bleeding horrid rollercoaster but eventually u will level out x 
  • Posted

Stick with it ... I was out of it for 4 days ... after a week or so it will settle ... I’m ok 3 weeks now and still feel tired. Still waiting for it to really kick in .... 
    • Posted

Thank you i have just taken tablet and will see how this day goes but will stick it out as have read that it’s really helping people .. I haven’t slept much but don’t feel tired as so wired!  Good luck to u and hope you start to feel better 😊

• Posted

I was out of it all over new year !!! I’m still letting trivial things bother me and sometimes I feel the drowsy when anxious as if the side effects are coming back ! 
    • Posted

Hope today goes better, I started in 25mg on Monday and have upped it to 50 mg today, I'm just having a lazy morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.