Day 20 :( do you take flu in the morn or night?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I feel so up and down all the time. I'll have a week good then back track. Now a hour or two of good but my worse is always when waking up. I always fall asleep quick but then constantly toss and turn all night. I don't stay awake and go right back to sleep but feel exhausted in the morning from doing this like 20 + times. Should I take flu in the morning instead of the night?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicole

I take my 20 mg dose in the morning

As I've read flux is a more stimulating

Med rather than being in the sedative

Category . I've had insomnia and morning

Anxiety which fluctuates . This I put

Down to me adjusting to the med whilst

It works . Insomnia wise I was prescribed

Amitriptayline 10 mg it does seem to help

I was waking at 2:30 am at one point

Now if I wake I can usually fall back asleep

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! I don't really have insomia I go right back to sleep after I wake up. I just wake up a lot tossing and turning. How long have you been taking flu. I usually have anxiety in the morning also.
    • Posted

I started on the 5th feb I was all over the place during the first 3 weeks

But in between I would have a gd couple of hours now I am getting

Gd days maybe 3/4 a week so it's getting better .

• Posted

Would you have days where it felt like you were starting all over. Feel so depressed today the worse I've felt in a long time. I'm only starting week four.
    • Posted

Nicole

Im on week 9 and the sleep is rough.

Probably my worst symptom. I have a bad back so i do think this contributes too.

The med also makes me restless at times so maybe this is at night too.

Im really hoping this settles very soon.

In the meantime, i just look at the clock and try to positively revel in the amount of sleeping time i have left before i have to get up.

Trying to turn the negative into a positive (who am i kidding?).

• Posted

Hi Nicole

I take mine at night, mainly because I used to feel tired all day when I took them in the morning, then start to feel awake about 6 in the evening, so I changed to night & it suits me much better.

I had a similar sleep pattern to you initially, I would go off in a deep sleep for a few hours then toss and turn the rest of the night. But now I sleep quite well, maybe wake up once or twice but manage to go straight back to sleep. Although I do still wake up before my alarm is due to go off.

I think its early days for you so try & stick with it a little while longer unfortunately poor sleep seems to be yet another side effect of fluoxetine in the beginning.

I also stopped drinking caffeine which I think has helped.

Take care

Katie x

• Posted

Thanks Katie, I might try to take mine during the day and see if that helps. How long have you been on flu? Did you have days up and down 3 weeks in?
    • Posted

Iv been on fluoxetine 14weeks (4 weeks 20mg 10 weeks 40mg).

I didn't really feel any better till 6 weeks then it was very slowly. But now I feel so much better almost back to normal! I have down days but doesn't everyone. It's so hard in the beginning but keep with it, it's certainly worth it in the end. The side effects are awful but they do wear off. I seemed to have different side effects every week, but apart from headaches at the moment I feel great.

I even have days when I forget iv been ill, something I never thought possible!

I wish you all the best it's a struggle on times but when the fluoxetine starts working it's worth it.

Take care

Katie x

• Posted

Yes this week I've been really down like in the beginning and my jaw has been sore with headaches. It's so discouraging that I feel like the med isn't working. Did you feel like that at times?
    • Posted

Yes. I had a terrible stiff/aching jaw for a while, but it has gone now. My headaches are recent so I'm hoping they will pass soon. You seem to have one side effect after another but they do pass. Iv stopped stressing about them now as I know they are just side effects, but that could be because I'm feeling so much better.

There were times when I nearly stopped taking fluoxetine but I'm so glad I stuck with it, it certainly has improved my life.

I'm sure you will start to feel better soon give it another few weeks and you will realise its well worth it.

Xx

• Posted

It's normal to feel like that during recovery on these meds - being up and down is part of the process. I'll eventually ease off over time.  It does feel like you're back to square one, again, but just keep persevering and it will pass.

Mornings were my worst time and I always thought it was just the realisation of another day to get through.  Usually by the evening I'd feel ok.  This stopped eventually.

I take my meds in the morning, and a doctor did recommend this as some people find the meds keeps them awake if taken late in the day (mine you some find it makes em sleepy).  Insomnia and disturbed sleep is another side effect that will wear off.

Took me 3-4 months to feel the benefit of this meds and was well by 6 months.  Everyone is different though.

K x

• Posted

Yes this week I feel like I'm starting over sad I feel like the meds aren't helping. I know it's still early and it's the start of my 4th week. Also my jaw has been this week with headaches. Mornings are def my worse. I'm going to try to take my meds in the morning and see if it makes a difference with my sleep habit.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I guess I just feel like giving up on the meds because it's not helping. Today has been one of my worse days and I guess I'm scared that the medicine isn't going to work and I will never get better. All I can hope for is a better day tomorrow. Did you guys feel like you were starting over though on week 4 or feel worse?
    • Posted

When you're not well, you'll have that little negative voice telling you the meds aren't working, it won't work for you etc etc ..... 

Honestly ... It will get better.  

It often gets worse before it gets better.  I felt I was starting over many times, but through perseverance and lots of patience, the meds finally started to kick in.

People often give up too soon.  Unfortunately there is no quick fix ... but keep on persevering through everything, however bad it gets, and it'll start working. 

​The meds are working and you'll start feeling better in time.  Don't give up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.