Day 20 - zero energy... Is this normal?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I can't complain because everything is getting easier, and I am definitely much more comfortable than I was. My biggest problem is a complete absence of energy. I feel so deeply tired and fatigued. I had my first nights sleep last night, so why am I still not feeling like moving or doing anything? I want to play with my children, get the house organised and do productive tasks but just don't have it in me.... Is this your experience? Or should I be forcing it?

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is normal. Just give in and rest when your body tells you to. I couldn't believe how tired I was, slowly you will 'come to'. Tony
  • Posted

Looking back, with 20 20 vision, I have decided that its our body using all its ready energy supply healing itself.

You not only have the physical damage you can see, you have the bone and muscles cut inside, alot of bruising, even if you can't see it, I had no bruising on the outside.

GP Dr was examining me at day 10 after surgery, to re-do my dressings, and said wow you are lucky you didn't bruise too much, he said not unusual to see bruising from the hip to the knee.

Also how many years have you been in pain with that old hip, good riddance to that, your body is also adjusting to the lack of that constant background pain, our bodies when they are in pain try to compensate by producing natural pain killing hormones, (you woudn't know it though), and those hormones or lack of them also produce side effects I suspect most of the time we are unaware of, but put them together if the effects of THR and its all just too much. Rest up, go with the flow, darling ladies you don't have much choice.

• Posted

You are so absolutely right Lyn, that is the complete voice of reason. The beauty of reflection shared - and much appreciated.

I have found a new respect for my body now after reading your post - I have decided come hell or high water I come first this year - Christmas or no Christmas!

• Posted

Darling Rose - Dammned right you come first, especially after a THR.

You just sit back and watch everyone else do all the work, and thank them nicely (through gritted teeth if neccessary) most can't tell the diffence between gritted teeth and a smile, or that is my theory, and enjoy as best you can. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes. I have the advantage of taking my glasses off, 20/20 vision at 4 inches, after that a fog, and let it go.

I always think about the hippies of 50 years ago, and I did ask, what happened to a senior nurse, she said most of them became alcholic, and or drug addicts, and a huge % of them ended up committing suicide, when it just all became too much.

We are so much better off these days, we really don't know just how lucky we are, I think. You have a happy and Merry Xmas, Love Lyn

• Posted

I'm actually looking forward to seeing my scar. An old scar in the same place but not as long as it's from childhood was thickened and wonky, that's been taken out and hopefully replaced with a new neat scar. I also have another old scar running from the front of my thigh up to my lower abdomen. That's also not very nice but more modern techniques leave much neater scars. They've never stopped me wearing a bikini!
  • Posted

Good for you! Our battle scars should be something to be proud of!
  • Posted

It's so lovely to read the posts on this site and know that others are going through the the same. My family are all exercise crazy and do fell running, racing and cycling. That will be the main topic of conversation on Christmas Day 😩 If I hear one more time about how so and so is back running up and down mountains after a new hip! As my problems have been lifelong and the op so complex I'll never run up a mountain!! Not that I would want to anyway! It's nice to talk to people who are normal.
    • Posted

I so understand Vicki. I am in a very outdoorsy family and I've never been able to do the sporty things they do. I wish I had the body that could walk more easily - I would quite like to walk in the bush but it's always been so much effort.

I'm just back from the physio and she's been explaining why I've always found walking so difficult. I love my physio. She is the only one who has bothered to examine all my Xrays in detail and put it all together. Just arthritis but in more joints than not.

And here's to a beautiful new scar! For a new hip and hopefully more mobility for you.

• Posted

I know it is irritating ! I am sure people mean to be encouraging, but it doesn't feel that way.

We are a sporty outdoor family and the biggest thing I miss is the glorious fresh air. It will come. I love walking my dogs in the countryside particularly and cycling. I love hiking mountains but as you say unlikely for the moment! smile

• Posted

In my experience it is normal to have very little energy. I've had half a dozen major surgeries in the last 10 years and I know now to count on 6 weeks out of action. I used to fight it and think that I would be different. But no. I was the same as everyone else.

The energy seems to return in fits and starts. One day motivated, the next exhausted by the previous days activity. I now think of the recuperation time as a sort of holiday away from my main life.

Thankfully my pre op energy has returned and then some. I'm not fighting so much pain and am finding things easier to achieve. Good thing too. I have 12 adults and 13 children for Christmas lunch. Being summer in Australia it's relaxed and outdoors, but we still have ham and turkey, just that they're served cold woth salads.

I suspect zero rnergy is still better than pre op pain!

• Posted

Oh yes! I can live with a lack of energy definitely! Anything is better than the pain before. Just at this time of year, it is more full on that usual, and children are home and want to be with me all the time, and are do excited and full energy!!

Your Christmas sounds wonderful outside!!!! Have a very special family time! My husband wants to have Christmas in the sun one year with Father Christmas on the beach biggrin

• Posted

And I want to have Christmas in the cold one year. My daughter is moving to the UK next year for her husband to do a PhD so I might get my wish. I'd love to see all the decorations and the long night and the cold we just don't get to experience here.

I'm finding Christmas magical again because of the ages of my grandchildren. I can imagine you want to treasure every moment with your girls.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.