Day 3 advice please

Posted , 6 users are following.

this is my third day after osteomy bunion surgery. I’ve had to go into the hospital to relieve pressure for my cast. My foot is throbbing agonizing pain. Please tell me someone this is normal. I’ve had my foot elevated the entire time and packs of ice but any other Advice would be so helpful because right now I’m thinking this isnt normal normal! Also, can everyone tell me how long they were off work with the surgery?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

i had 2 weeks off work although it depends on individual recovery

i personally could not afford to be off any longer

also its a nightmare trying to get shoes to fit

i work in catering so i need to wear a full shoe

i used to wear a elastic foot bandage to enable me to wear even a wide foot boot

it takes time and patience depending on your job

my foot would swell massively after a day at work for weeks after even months

• Posted

iI had a similar issue with mu cast. it became very heavy. I went to the ER and all they did was unwrap it and let it breath for an hour and a half. My doctor looked at me as if I sprouted horns when I complained about this issue. I still don't understand the point in wrapping me up to my knee for a toe? AND why did I have to be naked during surgery for a toe? What the heck Is wrong with this picture? I hope your doctor is better than mine was. GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

Haha! I was wondering the same thing about why I had to be naked for the surgery! And to be scrubbed head to toe with anti-bacterial soap without even moisturizer on my body!

• Posted

lol i asked why no underwear and they said in case you have to use a bed pan! i laughed and said when i'm under anesthetic? lol

i don't mind the anti bacterial soap because i have MS and on immunosupressants but in a heslthy person that is overkill.

• Posted

Hi Kenora44,

Don't worry, it is normal, the third day is supposed to be the worst. I am at 6.5 weeks now and still non-weight bearing because I had quite a bit done (Lapidus Fusion, McBride Bunionectomy and Akin Osteotomy). After the first week, you will feel progressively better. It has been a lesson in patience for me. Luckily, I work from home, but found that I was able to sit at my desk with leg on a cushion after the second week. Hang in there! Oh, and get a knee scooter!

• Posted

thank you.. not much brings me to tears but wow this has been tough! did you get the burning sensations too? if so do you still have them. tonights been the worst yet!

• Posted

Yes, you will get the burning sensations and little electric shocks all over your foot for a few weeks. Its the nerves healing and it will also get better as time passes. I hardly get them now.

• Posted

hi,

i am 4 weeks Lapidus fusion, plate ,screws and bone graft.. the pain was dreadful over the first 4 days, i am still non weight bearing until I have my second xray in 2 weeks. I had a joint replacement on the other foot 4 months ago and it is still painful, so has been a bit of a struggle...especially and this foot was pain free before the Lapidus! on xray prior to deciding to do the op, the joint was very badly dislocated and so risked the joint having multipal bone cysts and disintigrating like the other one.

Does anyone know how long it is before it is possible to put on a proper shoe and walk without too much discomfort?

• Posted

oh I feel for you! i hope you feel better as quick as possible!

• Posted

Hi Loraine,

My cast came off at 6 weeks, which was this past Tuesday. The doctor put me in an Air Cast for another couple of weeks and started me on Range of Motion (ROM) exercises for my big toes. My midfoot fusion isn't fully healed yet, so he doesn't want me weight bearing for another couple of weeks, when the boot is removed and I start wearing sneakers. However, I am allowed to start putting weight on my foot with assistance from the crutches. The guideline I was given is to not exceed a pain scale of 5 (on a 1-10 scale).

My foot didn't hurt at all while in a cast, but now that I am moving it around with 100 pulls and pushes on my big toe (to break up scar tissue and increase flexibility), it feels very bruised and swells up quickly. I was able to stand on both feet with about 30% weight on my surgical foot. But I can't seem to put my foot flat because of the swelling under my ball of foot. The nurse said this will gradually get better.

I realize that it will take a lot of work and more time than I expected to be able to walk. I have my next surgery for my left foot on Nov 7th, and hope my right foot will be able to bear weight for crutches. The good thing is that I have a pretty good range of motion in my big toe (enough to wear 3 inch heels, LOL!) and have physical therapy lined up the day after my boot is gone. The nurse believes I will be walking on that foot again without crutches at 12 weeks, right around the time I'll be bedridden with my other foot elevated!

It's really "no pain, no gain," so once you're able to bear weight, ask for the exercises to minimize scar tissue and for a PT referral.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.