Day 3 of Levothyroxine- sides

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all, I just started Synthroid after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism  My TSH range has been 7, 5, 7 (with 3 month intervals btw testing) and my thyroxine Peroxidase Antibodies are 300. Athough I’m on the lowest dose (day 3), I feel really out of it (extreme brain fog), heart palpitations, nervous/ speedy feeling, face/ cheeks feel dry & itchy, no appetite .. I know this is normal but do these sides taper off? 

I see my Dr in 6 weeks but in the meantime I’m tempted to half the pill ( I’m petite so maybe it’s too much for me)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Trudy, what dosage are you on? It is a bit unusual to be seeing the effects this soon. 
  • Posted

Your TSH isn't that high so I guess you are on 25mcg. Maybe you can ask your doctor if you can skip a day or two but be consistent if she agrees. If your skipping a day then do the same the next week so she can figure out easily how much you take. Keep records of all your labs. Ppl who have relatively not very high TSH often react.more to thyroid meds. Call your doctor. Post your.other labs. Were you jittery before or only after.starting med?Did she test your iron and ferritin_ Serum Folate and B12 levels? Ask her about vitamins BComplex with Folate not folic acid. Vit C. D3. Vit A Vit K2Magnesium zinc. are also good to supplement. Dont take minerals at least 5 hrs after dosing. Skip your thyroid med.the day of testing take it after they draw your blood.

• Posted

Thank you.

so far I have only received TSH (7.1)

thyroxine peroxidase Antibodies (287)

I’m going to ask about further testing in my f/u appoint. 

My previous dr only tested TSH as well 

I’m in Canada and unfortunately they seem to rely on TSH alone due to the cost of T3 & T4 testing which I cannot afford privately.

the jitters / anxiousness definitely started with the Levothyroxine.

As for other symptoms such as water retention/ weight gain (I feel like a walking juice box) & ?Headaches/head pressure...it’s hard to tell if this is from the hypo or Levothyroxine...

Thanks

• Posted

You know how you felt before the meds so think anything new would be from the levo. You can also get rxd betablocker if you get too hyper or jittery. I was dxd at much higher TSH.barely felt the levo no sides. The Canada and England's NHS health system not very proactive for patients...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.