Day 3 of sertraline - keep going or stop?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was prescribed 50mg of Sertraline for anxiety 3 days ago. On the first day I took the 50mg and was sick half an hour later and then again 2 hours after that. I decided to decrease my dosage to 25mg and have taken that for the last 2 days and the side effects are dreadful. I have heightened anxiety - I had the worst panic attack to date yesterday, I feel sick and spaced out and have a pain in my neck that comes and goes. I have read the side effects improve but I have a holiday booked for 11 days time and am worried that I will still feel like this and won't be able to go.. I didn't feel great before taking the tablets but not as bad as this, I feel stuck and completely clueless as to what I should do. If anyone has any advice I would be really grateful.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.

everyone reacts differently to them and how long the side effects last.

Try drinking ginger tea to settle your tummy.

make sure you don't take them on a empty stomach

i take mine at about 7.30pm so the side effects are in the evening or while I'm asleep.

they do work it just takes time x

• Posted

Hello,

?Sorry you are reacting this way to the tablets. I know what you are going through, it's the main reason I can't take to SSRI's. I am told once you get through the adjustment period of 1-2 weeks, things improve dramatically. It's just, I can never make it past 3-4 days as the side effects drive me insane! I haven't got much weight to lose and the sickness worries me.

?How do you cope with the heightened anxiety when it's a basically a chemically induced panic attack?!

?I stuck out fluoxetine for 1 month and that was worse than Sertraline so far. I am only on day 2 myself and wondering whether it's worth it or not but at the same time, you need to think about why you started them in the first place?

?Previously I was managing better on a sleep aid like Ampitripalyine though. The doctor wouldn't give me a repeat as he said it wasn't tackling the main issue rolleyes

• Posted

HI Marie,

I am on almost 2 months now.  The first few weeks were awful, like you I started on 50mg, and dropped to 25mg for a couple days, then back up to the 50mg, and now on 100mg, little by little the side effects went away.

Two things I learned was eat just before you take it so you dont get as nauseaus... I also take at bedtime, as this way the "spaced out feeling" is mostly gone by the time I get up and shower out the cobwebs...it does make getting up a little difficult though..

I also was provided xanax to help me through the first month of the side effects, as I had insomnia and increased anxiety..  I'm still working on sleeping properly, but other than that I only have the grogginess in the am.

Hope you feel better soon...

• Posted

Wow Tammy that is exactly how id describe it,nearly my 8th week also bit started on 50 and stil am,take at night defo difficult to get up and im groggy til afternoon then feel fine x
    • Posted

I started taking them earlier in the day... I slowely redced the time by 2 hours a day... I am now at 2pm and I am starting to sleep better and getting up is slowely getting better...

Previously I was on Paxil and that put me to sleep in an hour so I thought this would do the same... not so much!

Try taking earlier it may help.

• Posted

Hi Tammy

I have thought abt takin during the day,but for me i take at 730 evening,and by 10 o clock i have a lovely sleep,im worried if i change i may not sleep.x

• Posted

Hi Marie, im on 50mg, its been two weeks. No major side effects..just no appetite and a bit emotionless but its different with all i guess. But i had major panic attacks and chronic anxiety before ... and it was severe...heart palpitations...daily panic attacks..not once...several...but this saved me.... not a single attack since i started. Keep going...dont give up. Unless the medication just doesnt work with you and its really best to switch..usually drs say give it two weeks for side effects...... try and be calm. Have you been given any valium at all?

Plz take it easy... dont worry... it will pass hopefully.... xxxx good luck....

• Posted

Thanks so much, I feel a bit better today and doc has prescribed me some Valium to help out a bit and signed me off work for the rest of the week, fingers crossed the side effects go soon xx
    • Posted

??????

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Take this time to heal and we're always here...all of us are going through the same....some are doing better and some not so....but takes time. The valium will definitely help. So happy you're feeling better. Thank you for letting me know.

? xxxxxxx

• Posted

And forgot to mention, i take mine early mornings as advised by doc so it doesnt affect my sleep. Xxxxx but like all say... everyone is doing things differently

All the best hun.

Just dont stress and be calm..... you dont need any extra worry or stress.xxx

• Posted

My experience is that it is best to start on a low dose.... This minimizes the initial anxiety.  So I feel you were right to reduce to 25 mg... I feel 50 is too high a dose to begin with... Also it does take a good month before you feel the tablets working... ,my doctor prescribed Xanax or klonopin to cope with the increased anxiety and panic. I took that twice daily.. It really helped and once the side effects of setraline stopped and I was feeling the benefit I was able to discontinue the Xanax.... Personally, I could not have coped with those initial side effects without something to calm the increased anxiety... Honestly, I probably wouldn't have started taking Setraline before a vacation... but now you are 3 days in though, so maybe stick with it, staying at 25 mg until you feel better.. Then you can increase to 50.. . Also, I would suggest talking to your doctor about taking something extra to cope with the side effects... Best of luck to you!!! In time you will feel better... Promise!!

• Posted

Thanks Deirdre. My doc has prescribed me some Valium is that similar to xanax? I stupidly didn't do much research before taking sertraline so didn't realise how bad it could make you feel at first, wouldn't have started it before the holiday had I known. Thank you!!

• Posted

I'm no medic but I'd wait till you get back as it really takes about4/6 weeks for Sert to balance out.  Your holiday will do you far more good. See if the Doc can give you something just to help you keep calm if you get panic and Anxiety. Sert is really for low mood. All the best and enjoy your holiday. Be strong.

• Posted

Thanks Phil! Just a bit worried to stop taking it now as I hear that even after 4 days you can get withdrawal symptoms for up to 2 weeks. Such a vicious circle
  • Posted

I had fluorine in the past and they worked well irat time second not so good then I was put on citalopram and thought I'd lose my mind, I'm now on the 3rd day of sertraline and feel good ,not great but no side effects or anything so I'm hoping this is me finally on the right one now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.