Day 3 Post GB Removal, would greatly appreciate any support

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone,

My name is Rose and I have just recently had my GB removal due to life or death situation. My GB wall was thickening and I had a lot of stones. I could definitely use support. The women in my family have had experience with their GB removal as well. I'm praying the pain from surgery will eventually go away. Reading other's stories are scary, I would like to hear from those who have had success with their GB removal. How many days does it take for the pain to go away from the stitches? And do you take enzymes to help with your digestion?

I stoped taking the pain pills my second day post GB removal, due to fears of constipation and stories of people who've became addicted. Currently I just take tylenol for any pain or discomfort I feel from the surgery. Congrats to those who are on their road to recovery as well! <3

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rose I am suffering with Gallstones, sludge, thickening gallbladder wall etc, I dread the attacks, vomiting etc my stomach feels like a horse has kicked me the following day.

I had an ultrasound during a 4 day stay in hospital hence the diagnoses, I have had a MRCP scan and the consultant wants me to have a MRI on my liver not sure if he's just being thorough before surgery.

I see him for the first proper consultation on the 1st of September and I have a lot of questions to ask.

You read the awful post op problems on here so some good ones would be great.

My friend had her Gallbladder out and she's fine she's able to eat anything now and feels amazing.

I know we are all different and everyone needs support, best wishes for a speedy recovery. X

• Posted

Thank you for your response Amanda! It helps to hear about your friend and her ability to eat what she wants. Prayers for your first consultation, this was my first major surgery, and definitely don't follow my advice on stop taking the pain meds post surgery. I only did it because I was afraid of constipation. Now i'm greatly wishing I hadn't. I should always listen to my own body and what it tells me because everyone has different results. I see my follow up next week, I hope by then no discomfort. However when they did my GB removal, the doctor did note that I have a fatty liver. Prayers for your consultation. I had similar symptoms as you had. July 8 was when I went to see my family doctor. July 9 I had my ultrasound. It was a relief that my symptoms were gullstones instead of liver failure. Thank you for support! Praying for your surgery!

• Posted

My very first attack was last February.

I had been fasting to lose weight I was 13st 1lbs now I am 9st 9lbs apparently if they class it as standard op they are booking ops into Jan/ Feb next year ?? I hope that won't be me, the waiting lists are crazy at the moment.

• Posted

Hi Rose.  Eat a diet low in fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, etc until you have healed.

More than likely you won't have pain.  The only people that write about their pain on the internet are the people with problems.  The majority of people are fine.

It could take up to six months before your body starts to digest food properly again.  If you have pain after that, then the SECOND you feel the pain coming on drink a large glass of water.  At least 12 oz.

Do NOT do the following until your stitches are completely healed both inside and outside!!  But I also fiind placing a tennis ball on the floor and allowing my rib area where the pain is to be massaged by the ball.  I use my body weight to press into it.  I roll it almost all the way into my armpit area.  You will find this hurts, so start easy.  I think it has to hurt a little in order to work.  I then flip over and use the ball on my back inbetween the spine and shoulder blade (where the pain is).  Again using my body weight to get that ball to the correct area and also roll around again.

It's a weird trick but seems to REALLY help.  So does the icewater, but you have to drink it immediatley when you fel the pain or it won't work.

Icing the right ribcase directly on the pain seems to work too.  Sometimes I do that at night using an icy gelpack.  Feels wonderful on that stupid burning pain.

Good luck.

• Posted

I didn't stress enough to watch your fat intake.  Especially fat that comes from animals.  Try to avoid processed foods as well.  Cook from scratch and eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

• Posted

Hi Rose,

My name is Deborah I was just cheking the blogs and I seen yours asking for comfort of prayer. I will lift your name up to our Father in heaven that has control better than any doctor.

And I ask you do the same for me I have surgery tommorow to remove the gallbladder I was scared until I thought about THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE DEVIL wants to fear of no contol.

Stay focus and know that their better days ahead and remember other peoples problems with the surgery they may have had other medical conditions no two Apples are alike ate least that what Eve said biggrin

• Posted

Hi i had mine taken out 6 years ago, and have been fine, i eat pretty much what i want and dont have any problems, best thing i ever did, paracetomol and ibroprufen worked best for me for pain relief, it was about 3 weeks for my abdominal muscles to get better and not feel bruised or sore. Pain from stiches should get better within 1 to two weeks. Most people do not get addicted to ibroprofen or paracetomol either. Best wishes hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

Hi Rose, I had mine taken out at the end of May. I had a thick gallbladder and lots of stones as well. I'd say it took around 10 days for the pain to more or less go and around 3 weeks to feel more normal. Now I feel wonderful and so lucky. I was slow to introduce fattier food but I have found I can eat anything now. For some reason icecream makes me a bit windy and I'd say my stool is a little more loose than it was pre surgery but nothing I cannot handle at this stage. I honestly feel like a new woman. I am exercising and eating well and I try to have one treat a day. I've lost almost 5 stone since my gallbladder saga started. Feeling like I do now has made me realise just how unwell I was and for how long I was suffering symptoms. The heaviness and constant stitch pain has completely gone along with the bloating and general unwell feeling. My only wish is that everyone else suffering from gallbladder disease could be cured like I've been. I am aware not everyone is as fortunate as I am.

• Posted

Everybody heals different, mine was complicated by previous surgeries so it took longer to heal and my experience was not good....YOU however for the first week it is okay to take pain meds, being brave and in pain doesnt help, you just suffer for no reason...you can take them ONLY when you REALLY need them and you should be ok, constipation is a side effect but if you are taking less then prescribed and drink extra water, it should be fine, you wont be using them long....after a week the surgical parts will be better and you probably wont need pills at all...if you can use Tylenol after 3 days you are doing GREAT!! Relax, every day you get a little better....if you have pills left over, return them to the pharmacy so they can dispose of them...if you need support i am usually around, try not to listen to the horror stories(mine included lol) by the way, am so glad you made it through your most scary emergency!!! Hope you're feeling better, like NOW!!??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.