Day 36 sober

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been sober for 35 days today being 36 and am doing ok.  I am on Antibuse but feel like a part of me is missing there is always a niggling.  I have been doing a lot to keep busy and taking up old hobbies.  I attend meetings and see my councellor but I'm still kinda.... lost? I was drinking 1 litre of vodka a day and was still for the most part functional.  I went in for a 7 day de-tox and have got to this stage.  Just wondered if anyone has any advice.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi susiepie well done 36days you must be so proud.

were you drinking for a long time ?

im sure it will take a while for those niggles to go away, you sound like you are doing all the right things keeping busy doing more, is very positive.

have you ever read or tried anything to do with meditation or mindfulness i

myself am trying to stop drinking as it had become a habit to have wine every evening first a bottle then getting on two or sometimes more.

i decided I couldn't just cut down so tried to keep busy during the evenings

and do other things it's not easy but I found trying to practice the mindfulness really helped and especially with sleeping.

i know it's not for everyone but I think it's worth a go, it's helped me lots

when I start to think about a drink I read and practise.

hope this helps Ann 

• Posted

Hi ann03972, thank you for your response.  What is minfulness? It's a thing I've not heard of.  I don't quite know how to go about meditation either really.  As you said it's good to try to keep busy.  I am open to any advice that you can give me.
    • Posted

Hi if you look up mindfulness on line thers lots of info.

it helps a lot if you ca use it for positive thinking living in the moment, I find

it helps me when I am tempted to have a glass of wine, I try some of the

breathing exercises and I find it helps to put all those thoughts out of my 

mind it's similar to meditation in that you take some time out to just be quite

And put negative thoughts out of your mind. It also helps a lot with pain

management. I know it's not for everyone, but I find it really helps me.

i think your doing really well, try to keep positive and take each day one at a

time. Hope this helps. Ann 

• Posted

Thank you ann03972,  for  getting back to me.  I will look online about mindfulness.  i will let you know how I get on
    • Posted

Hi ann03972, I have been drinking to some extent since I was 14 but obviously it had escalated to a litre a day.I have been a heavy drinker (most days) for over 20 years
  • Posted

Hi l am glad u have stopped alcohol, the niggling takes a longtime to get rid off , especially if u used to drink a lot of water, try drinking your favourate juice a lot it helped me reduce the niggling, u are not the onlyone suffering the after effects of alcohol. IF u type, "l feel depressed after l have had a lot of alcohol", u will get to see how the niggling affects people in different ways, keep going one day at a time, how much did u use to drink, just asking cheers.
    • Posted

Hi Richard, I was drinking around 1 litre a day every day sometimes more. I went in for de-tox on 2nd June for seven days and not had a drink since.
  • Posted

keep with it SusiePie. You are dong so well and keeping busy is GREAT. Treat yourself to something you would not normally have/get. Cinema or special resturant?? Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.