Day 4

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've been taking Escitalopram for 4 days now, and I'm still cautious about it.

I take it every evening at 10pm after eating something, so far I think it's helping with the sleeping issues I suffered from with Fluoxetine.

I still wake up in the morning with nausea, though I haven't vomited in two days now. I'm still eating normally, though there is a slight subtle nausea lingering in my stomach from time to time.

In terms of anxiety: It's there, but it's not there if that makes sense. I get worrying thoughts, but they feel more distant and in the back of my mind, I'm not panicking or worrying about them so much.

My heart isn't palpitating so much as it was on Fluoxetine, it's pretty calm most of the time.

I'm slowly recovering from the flu as well (that could possibly explain the nausea), so i've just been taking it easy by chilling in my pyjamas, sketching and watching videos.

I plan to visit my GP tomorrow and discuss the mild nausea with them, it's not terrible, but I'm curious to know if they could prescribe me something for it. 

Hopefully (Touch wood) this is the right antidepressant for me, after a couple of attempts it's getting pretty tiresome looking for the right medication.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How much r u taking? I'm still on 2.5 2xa day .. I feel like I need more so I'm going to add back the 2.5 at 3pm.. I know that a lot of people would just say take 2  5mg  and b done with it but I just don't want all those side effects hitting me hard. I took that extra 2.5 for 3 days last week and it didn't feel right so I backed off.. this is just trial and error until u find the right amount.... so glad u r having a good experience with tolerating the  Lexapro... Take Care and  Keep us Posted ..

• Posted

Hi Nickie,

I'm on 5mg, I'm hoping this is the right one for me. I'm still planning to see my GP tomorrow and discuss if there is anything that can be done with the slight nausea. Hopefully they can give me something.

• Posted

Do u take it at night r of the am..? I cut my 5mg in half and take at am and pm..I don't guess it really matters when r how u take it as long as u get it in your system.. the sick nausea I hope gets better for u and I'm sure your pcp will tell u something to take over the counter r prescribe u something...do u mind if I ask u how old u r and how long u have had aniexty.. I'm 63 and a Nana and have had this all my life sence I was 9-10...

• Posted

I take it at night (around 10pm), Hopefully they can prescribe something. I'm 22 and I've had anxiety for about 7 years now.

• Posted

Do u know what brought your aniexty on 7 years ago? Mine started when my dad came down with Cancer.. I was 9 and he died when I was 12 and he was buried on my birthday.. some BD present .. the rest is a nightmare.. my grandmother pass d away 2 months after that and then my brother passed away in April of the following year .. we were 13 months apart and Best Friends.. That was the start of my GAD and Panic Disorder.. 
    • Posted

I think mine was due to social anxiety, I was at high school at the time, kind of unpopular and a bit of a misfit. I was studying for my GCSEs and I got some low grades. Plus I was dealing with some sexuality issues as well. The first couple of years were awful, I would constantly vomit, could hardly eat anything. I became incredibly underweight, by 2013 I had decided to start taking antidepressants, I was put on fluoxetine, and it saved my life. I was no longer anxious, put on a lot of weight and felt better. Eventually I changed to mirtazapine. I had a slight relapse this year, mainly because a coworker expressed his interest in me (I'm not great with relationships). So my current medication didn't work for me, I was put onto sertraline, which made me worse. Then I was put back onto fluoxetine, which did not work at all. Now I've been put onto Escitalopram. So hopefully this works.

• Posted

I really understand what u r saying.. I To was a odd child that no one wanted on their team r wanted to b with but ... this is what I say  to them now ....If they could see me now!!! Lol....I hope u stick this medicine out .. I really think it will help u ...we put soooo much pressure on ourselves to be perfect and guess what even the ones that think they r perfect ... Not So Much... U take Care of yourself and Keep us posted on your journey...Have A Wonderful Day... Think Positive...😊

• Posted

Haha that is true, a lot of what happens to us mentally is self inflicted. Take care of yourself too dear! I hope you have a lovely day smile
  • Posted

Robert... How are things going with your Lexapro...? Did u go to your Dr. about the issues u were having?Take Care .. just wanted to check in on u..
    • Posted

Hi Nickie, I did talk to my doctor. She reassured me and told me that the side effects are normal for the first few weeks. She's prescribed me domperidome tablets to help with the nausea and vomiting. I've taken domperidone before and they helped back then. So fingers crossed that they work!

• Posted

Robert.. So glad u got some meds to help with your nausea.. keep us posted... U take Care of Yourself My Friend..and Have. Terrific  Tuesday...😊

• Posted

Give it some time.  I was slightly nauseous for 2 weeks after starting Lexapro 10mg.  It went away after that and so did my horrible anxiety.

These SSRI's generally take a few weeks to start really working and about 2 weeks for them to get out of the system if you were to ever stop.  I mention that because I was also on Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 5 years and thought I had turned into a raving maniac the last 2 of those years.  When I just happened to decide to stop taking the Prozac the craziness in my life also stopped... in exactly 2 weeks after cessation of the drug.  I will never touch Prozac again for as long as I live!

How long were you? on Fluoxetine?  What dosage?  When did you stop taking it?  I can relate!  wink

• Posted

Hi David,

My doctor explained to me that it's quite common to feel nauseated and vomit on escitalopram at the start. Thank God she gave me some anti nausea tablets, they help so much.

Orignially I was on Fluoxetine for 3 years, I changed medication in 2016 to mirtazapine. But after my anxiety relapse I had to go through trial and error with antidepressants. I tried fluoxetine 20mg again for 3 weeks, and my God were the side effects bad. I don't think I'll be using fluoxetine ever again.

I stopped taking it on the 3rd January 2018, so a few weeks ago.

• Posted

Robert. I am just stopping Prozac tomorrow and starting lexapro on Tuesday.  Do you mind me asking how you were tappered?

I have to stop domperidone today because of he dirreha I am experiencing. I also experience nausea in the mornings with my anxiety. 

I am also frustrated with having to switch and am praying lexapro will work. 

Oh I hope I don’t get too nauseasted from it! 

It’s so tiresome switching meds. I feel like I wasted 11 weeks!!

• Posted

Hi Mell,

I was only on fluoxetine for 3 weeks, I didn't taper off of it. My doctor told me to just stop taking it.

Domperidome worked well for me. The nausea started to go away, and it's not so bothersome now.

I finish my last lot of domperidone tomorrow. So hopefully the nausea won't return again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.