Day 4 back on citalopram :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I decided to come off citalopram 10mg a few weeks ago. Got down to 5mg every 3 days. I felt so low I decided it wasn't a good idea abs started them again on Thursday. As soon as I took my 10mg dose I started to feel sick. The doctor said my start up side effects wouldn't be that bad as a little bit was still in my system. I can't remember feeling so bad when I first started.

I feel sick most of the day and keep getting headaches. I just feel awful, when will it stop?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You shouldn't be feeling like that. However it affects different people in different ways. Ask your doctor if you can try a different anti depressant like amytriptilin.

• Posted

Amitriptiline is a tri-cyclic medicine and nothing like Citalopram, which works in a completely way, but worth giving it a go.  Personally for me, SSRI's worked far better than a tri-cyclic.

You probably will get side affects again, it happens with any dose increase.  It should only last a few weeks.

When I went back in Citalopram last year the side effects hit me hard .... I couldn't remember them being that fierce years ago.  Anyway, I stuck it through and they passed.

K x

• Posted

Hi, I took amitriptyline for a week and it made me so tired even on a low 10mg dose. Also still have ringing in my ears from taking it. GP put me back on citalopram I didn't think the amitriptyline was a strong enough antidepressants. Citalopram have helped me before but I'm just annoyed that I came off it in the first place. Looks like another few days of feeling sick. It's like morning sickness but it lasts most of the day!!
    • Posted

Yes it is like morning sickness isn't it, that lasts all day.  I think nauseau was one of the hardest things I had on Citalopram, as it lasted the longest too. 

Oooh just thought, one thing that helped me with sickness on a cruise last year (really rough seas) blurgh ... was drinking ginger ale!!  Apparently all the crew drank it too.  It stopped my nauseau within 15 mins.  Never tried it for this medicines side effects, but worth a try.

• Posted

Thanks I will try it! Can you remember how long it lasted for??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.