Day 4 into this - Questions about what to expect?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I spent over a year planning my dream vacation which includes a ton of walking, carrying a heavy backpack, and hopping on a few flights. I'm now day 5 since I started feeling mono symptoms and supposed to leave for vacation in a 2 days. I have a couple of sporadic questions if you don't mind. I apologize in advance for the mental fog.

I'm confused about this fatigue I always hear of. Can you describe it?

Is it needing to sleep all the time, or just needing to not move? My doctor told me R&R is smart (of course she would) but when prodded she said it's fine for me to push through it and go on the trip if I feel I'm fine enough. What are the ramifications of pushing through it?

Also, when exactly should I expect to feel this fatigue? Right now my fever is by far my most miserable symptom and I honestly don't feel that fatigued outside the mental fog, fever, and weakness. Does the "fatigue" that everyone talks about regarding mono come after other symptoms disappear or is this as bad as it gets?

Did you have vivid dreams with mono? I'm normally a really peaceful deep sleeper but it feels like the second I start to nod out a really intense dream starts, it surprises me, and I wake up. Could be a sideaffect of my sleep medication maybe?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

So exciting to hear you have a super vacation planned, what horrible timing to get mono! 

Yes, I had very vivid and disorienting dreams for the first 1-2 weeks. Sometimes I was confused whether something happened in the dream or real life... I was often half awake - half asleep during the first few weeks of mono and I had the same dreams over and over and would jerk awake every 5 mins. That went away quickly. 

In terms of fatigue, everyone is different from what I read. My fatigue was first all physical - a horrible weakness. I was too weak to shower or make myself food for a week and then I gained minimal strength just enough to make myself food and bathe myself and be at home for months. My sleepy fatigue came later... when I regained my strength and wasn’t as weak. 

However... some people don’t experience the fatigue as much or if they do it’s shorter or not as intense (sometimes longer or more intense too). 

• Posted

I have been ill for 9 months now and my fatigue is only just getting better. I made the mistake of going back to college after 3 weeks of diagnosis and i had a terrible relapse which has caused me to be ill for longer. My fatigue and weekness was mild until i relapsed, i was in bed for months. Mono is a really underestimated virus and it seems that most people take a year or so to get over it. The only thing i would be worried about going on the holiday is that it could make ur recovery a lot longer, however people can get over it in a week so who knows really! It really depends on each individual. All i can day is take it easy and try to rest as much as you can. Goodluck!

• Posted

Hi Steve,

So sorry to hear that you have come down with mono, it really is a horrible virus - did you get a blood test to diagnose it from the doc? If so and it is mono, rest is really important. My experience was that pushing through didn't help and that you really need to listen to your body and get rest in the first few weeks after diagnosis. However of course it's very important to have that diagnosis first.

Really sorry to hear you have been feeling so unwell with it, especially just as you have a big trip planned. Listening to your body is key but remember don't do anything that's going to put you under extreme pressure, even if you could just take it easier on your trip if you are still going, what you're describing would be tough for a fit and healthy man let alone someone going through mono!

Taking vitamins and herbs really helped me, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), B complex (good for fatigue and energy levels) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinicea.

Really hoping you feel better soon and if you can please get plenty of rest right now, I know it's so frustrating when you have something you were looking forward to planned. I have read people saying about getting more vivid dreams with mono too, I think that can be normal, but remember all this will pass over and go away - it's really important what you do at this stage though and doing the right thing in rest and recovery now can go a long way to a full and quicker recovery!

Thinking of you and remember you will get through this and will get better. Praying God provides the guidance and help you need with deciding whether to go on your trip or not.

Craig

• Posted

Steve,

I'm in month 9 of Mono and having my 2nd relapse. Everyone is different, but I can't imagine attempting a trip. I've wondered if you went on your vacation.

I'm hoping you improved greatly and were able to travel.

Best Wishes,

Kristin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.