Day 4 post op

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

Just a quickie, I m now at home after hav

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sorry!!! After having brilliant care, the op was no problem at ( well you don't realise you've had it) it's the recovery that hits you hard. I never thought it would be this intense and it's certainly no easy ride. Maybe it's because it's still early days yet, but I reckon the wind pain is the hardest to overcome and I ve not been tired at all which I find odd! I must say what a weird feeling when you stand up straight, feels like I m carrying a sack of spuds loosely underneath my skin, the heaviness is a vile feeling. Anyway, i m on the road to recovery now, even though it's gonna be a long road x
    • Posted

Hi Clair.The tiredness didn't hit me till weeks later. I am due to go back to work two weeks today and that is going to be the hardest thing ,even on a phased return i am going in every morning and am thinking how will i cope?

The heavy tummy is a really odd feeling isn't it. Cos my surgeon told me your other internal organs fill the space i just assumed apart from pain you wouldn't really feel anything.Again i was wrong as it still feels heavy inside,especially as the day wears on and swelly belly gets worse. I tried my denim jeggings on again yesterday and lasted about an hour.They were so uncomfortable,imagine what proper jeans would be like,assuming i can even get them on now. I have spoken to work and explained that at this rate i will be coming back to the office wearing leggings and longline tops and they have been brilliant.They said they don't care what i wear as long as i am well enough to come back they will be delighted to see me in a bin liner!

The best thing for wind pain is to keep as mobile as possible by walking.A week after my op hubby went back to work and i made sure that from that day on come wind or rain i went outside for a walk,no matter how short it was and how rough i felt. I broke it up to two short ones and each week added another few minutes each way I still get wind now particularly in the evenings and my bowels are still not brilliant😞Still use lactulose and the odd Laxido sachet if they are particularly sluggish.

This is a major surgery with a major recovery,especially now my body has suddenly realised my ovaries have gone. I am eleven weeks today and am changing my HRT to see if that helps with the night sweats(hence i am more knackered now) and the joint aches.

Like many ladies on here i was told the golden six weeks and you will ne back doing most things. Well it will be a long way until i feel like i could spend a day shopping as about an hour on my feet does me in,and as for exercising i would have to use both hands to hold my belly in place. I am not normally that big i am a size 14 but honestly none of my trousers or skirts fit at the moment so will have to endure a clothes shop soon lol.

Yes this is a slow recovery but i can do a bit more everyday,and in myself feel better so am glad i have had it done.Post ablation syndrome will be a thing of the past for you like it is for me now.Take it easy and walk or potter about as much as you can.

Love Sharon x

• Posted

Thank you for your comments Sharon, sounds like I m recovering just like you did. Heavy tummy was a shock for me, i do find after sitting up for about an hour my wound starts to hurt so then have to lie down . I ve also got a weird numb feeling around my back passage, don't know if that's got anything to do with the spinal I had? Must say though I ve got to try and get the seed out of my head that's expecting the contractions to start, it's gone! No more worry, anxiety and sleepless nights rolling in agony. Glad you're in the mend to x
    • Posted

So glad you are home and your op was fine.  Try a few drops of oil of peppermint in a glass of water 3 times a day for the wind pain, it works a treat.  

Just remember each day is a step nearer to being fully recovered.  Take it easy and pamper yourself.

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Drink peppermint tea, it helps with the wind.

dont stretch too much when standing it does get better.

make sure you rest as you will suddenly get tired.

• Posted

I have only been tired on 2 separate days Good Friday and Easter Sunday I  am still not sleeping more than 5 hours at night rare in the day
    • Posted

That's me too judy! Just can't sleep very well. I must admit on second day I could ve cried and wished id never had it done! The intensity of what id had done hit me for 6. But each day passing I do feel that tiny bit stronger. Hope you're feeling fine xx
  • Posted

needed to add each day is better you will soon be feeling yourself quicker than you expect good luck
  • Posted

Hi, ism 8 weeks on Thursday following abdominal......I think it's really hard to prepare yourself pre op for this.....I only just beginning to feel normal again ad like a lot of you still having some sluggish bowel problems.....I have not managed to completely let go of my Bridget Jones pants ( my husband thinks I have now grown too fond if them!!!).... But it each day it does get better, I've been signed off until the 10th May but already thinking it's gong to be tough going back.
    • Posted

Hi Birdy,

I go onto hospital on thursday for a TAH & BSO and have been told will be signed off for 6 weeks, I put myself down for being off at work for 8 weeks but i think i should say it might be up to 12 just in case. I keep hearing from people who have had friends of friends!!! who have had it done and they say you will feel so much better and up and about on no time even my boss thinks i wont need 8 weeks and Im starting to feel as though i am exagerating !! xx

• Posted

Hi Nicola

Good luck for Thursday, I ve just had my sick note written for 6 wks and then I have to go back to surgeon/ doctor before it runs out. I too thought I would be off longer so worrying that I won't get another note. Don't know if docs automatically give you just 6 wks to start with?

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi, my initial sick note was for 6 weeks and then I went back and had a further note for 6 weeks....I work for te NHS and the norm is around 3 months for abdominal hysterectomy.....my GP just gold me to go back if I was not ready after 12 weeks....I'm 8 weeks on Thursday....I'm aiming yo go back at 12 if my recovery continues.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.