Day 4... want to stop citalopram aleady.. help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Started citalopram 4 days ago. Have yet to take the 4th pill yet today.. I dont know if I can keep taking them..

I have been taking them at 11am

Day 1 : 15 minutes after taking the first pill I felt like I had just drank 5 jagerbombs had an array of symptoms, headache, heavy arms, nausea waking up etc

Day 2 : pretty much the same just felt more spaced out like derealization and kept waking up all night

Day 3 yesterday : I felt quite good until trying to sleep. It just wouldnt happen until about 5am. And I kept waking up sweaty, feeling confused and scared and having to go to the toilet with a bad stomach.

Oh and it feels like my skin is burning and my legs and hips keep " jolting".

I dont know if I can carry on with the feeling " strange " it is one of my anxieties as it is, I dont like taking meds for the fear of feeling out of it, I dont drink anymore for the same reason.

I have yet to take todays dose.

I am also on penecilin at the moment for tonsillitis ( cleared up but have to finish the course) and have been signed off work for 2 weeks.

I am due to go on holiday in 13 days and I the thought of going while feeling like this is making me feel edgy.. I cant help but think what if it is not side effects of the medication but I am dying.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Oh and my pupils are dilated to maximum I look like I have had eyedrops in at the ophthalmologist!
    • Posted

These definitely sound like effects of the Citalopram. The first 7 days are hell. I have gone through back in August. I felt like I had every illness going, parkinsons, severe nausea and so so weak. It passes definitely by the end of week 2. I've been in them since 15 August ( 7 weeks) and I am now on holiday in Lanzarote and having a great time and feel good.

If you have any questions please ask

Alex

• Posted

Lizzie

I had the same reaction when I first started taking the meds, i couldn't raise myself from the sofa for 7 days ,I honestly had the worst week of my life , I rang doctors after 5 days & was told that the 20mg was too much for me to start on but stick with it , it took 10 days to settle down. Have had lots of blips in the 9 weeks since though & still convinced 20mg too much for me,

I also nearly cancelled a bike holiday because of how I was feeling but it turned out to be the best thing I done & I had a great week , the change of scenery I'm sure will help you so go & enjoy.

• Posted

Thank you both, I have bit the bullet and taken it again.
  • Posted

Hello Lizzie2882

The beginning is really really rough I feel for you so much :hug: but it doesn't last forever I promise.

I began taking my dose at 11am and it played havoc with my sleep had dilated pupils and jolts in the legs and head zaps it wasn't good.

Things dramatically improved when I started taking my tablets earlier in the morning at 9am as my GP recommended this to me after pretty much pleading for sleeping tablets. Perhaps you could try it and please look out for yourself and let the people closest to you know how much of a big deal starting on this type of medication is.

Best Wishes

Helen

• Posted

Usually the days I am not at work I am not awake at 9 am today when I finally got to sleep I woke up at 12, I even thought about setting an alarm for like 6am to take it and try going back to sleep lol but then probably couldnt go back to sleep.

I think ill try setting alarm for 9 am and trying, thanks for the tip smile

• Posted

Definitely side effects of the citalopram, try to stick with it. If it gets bad go back to dr as you can get something to help you through the first few days like diazepam. Hopefully they won't last too long for you

• Posted

Thank you, I was on ADs around 10 years ago and cant remember what it was like, so its like a new experience again.

Its like its trying to help, but my anxiety is trying to fight it off but then it hasnt got the strength but it keeps trying. If that makes any sense

• Posted

I've had awful side effects, started on 20mg for 5 weeks and then increased to 30mg and side effects kicked in again. 2 and a half weeks on 30 and it's still not settled yet, I'm having some better spells but mornings are horrendous.

I hope things settle for you soon xx

• Posted

Mine is 10mg thats why I feel abit worried. Its such a small dose and only been a few days how can it effect so fast
    • Posted

Believe me Lizzie it does. Remember it is altering your brain chemistry. It takes time for all the neurotransmitters to start firing properly and in balance. I would recommend doing Somerton like CBT which I think has affected me very positively. I also started doing yoga and swimming because I wanted to speed track myself back to better health asap. Seems to have worked.
    • Posted

Now I am having tingles in the right side of my face and hand sad

• Posted

Lizzie,  stop fearing the sensations you feel. This is the key to recovery.  They are,only feelings and will go in time.  This you can be sure of.  Fear feeds the anxiety causing adrenal responses
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie

Keep going. I remember the feeling that I couldn't wee properly......apparently it's about stopping the tears so that's why it affects that. Was on 20mg a day for 5 years and that got me over the bad times in my life a divorce. Met someone else re married a year ago. Very happy. Decided to wean off it so doc said drop to 10mg and stop. Which I did. Awful affects and I was on holiday too! Now dropping a day a week for a month then 2and so on.

Can only say stick with it Lizzie check with your doctor if really unsure but has really helped me. 😊

Patsy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.