Day 5 after bunion op × 2

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had both feet and  bunions done Tuesday there was also a lot of arthritis.  It's now Sunday and the pain is a lot less....managing with a lot less pain killers. I am also able to slowly walk around without any crutches etc...you do need good balance and core strength...or u might fall. I am a Personal Trainer and I would suggest to anyone if able to. ...get as fit as possible before the operation it helps on so many levels. As mentioned before I am taking Protein powder...Vit C ...Zinc and Calcium and vit D....I am also making sure I eat very healthy with whole foods and lots of greens. The worst thing for me is to not be able to exercise although I will start doing some upper body weights Monday. I am feeling flat but a lot of drugs have gone into my system that I am not used to.  I am very tired as the body is trying to heal 2 feet. I am so glad I had both done at once as for me I don't like repeating something and I could not have done this again.

I keep focousing on the outcome of this...I read a lot of feedback on this prior...some more helpful than other. At the end of the day...it's a huge and painful at the start after  the procedure...but in the not to distant future this too will be a distant memory and I will....fingers crossed...Have feet that don't hurt.... can fit shoes I want to wear....not to mention look better.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am 2 weeks and 5 days post op and still have pain.  I’m down to one or two pain pills per day.   I am very physically fit and it has helped tremendously with getting around, balancing to get in tub,etc.  I had just right foot done and was put into a walking boot on 14 day appointment with doctor telling me heel only for 4 weeks.  I’m non weight bearing for 6 weeks.  There seems to be a lot of variations to this surgery.   Doctor put plate and 7 screws midfoot fusion.   Today was the first day doing some light weight training.  Who knew how difficult it is putting the 45 lbs plates on the barbell in crutches ! Lol.  It’s a struggle everyday.   I’m fortunate that my work can let me sit with foot on desk but even that is taking a tool on my back.   Working a full day is brutal, went back to work on day 6.  I know what you mean about doing this once.  I will not get my left foot done, way to painful and I can’t be laid up like this again.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Yes I think there are lots of different variations...depending on surgery on etc I am sure.

I can fortunately walk unaided day 5...I wish you a speedy recovery and merry Christmas or festive season 🎉

• Posted

Martin, I also had midfoot fusion surgery with a plate and 5 screws.

6 weeks post op and am amazed that some are walking and working out so quickly

Knee planks are about as ambitious I will get. Okay maybe sit ups too.

I just started walking this past week.

Some pain but not worse than oresurgery. So far so good the sweeping is down and I am wearing my previous tennies...good luck

• Posted

Good luck to everyone who has had a bunion op..  I had mine done September 1st 2016 by a podiatrist surgeon and, unfortunately, my toe is still the same as before or perhaps a bit worse as now my little toe has been pushed outwards and it is even harder to get shoes on.  I am in the process of having special shoes made at the local hospital, because of this.  I have seen an orthopaedic surgeon there who is reluctant to put me through another operation at my age (77) so he suggested I try the special shoes and if they don't work he will do another operation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.