Day 5 citalopram - mental side effects of anxiety are debilitating

Posted , 3 users are following.

Two weeks ago I was carelessly restarted on sertraline after 2 months off, straight back up to the original dose and it absolutely blew my mind. I've always been sensitive to SSRIs, but this was ridiculous. Vommiting, depersonalisation, confusion, extreme fog and lack of appetite. This has showed some improvement.

A week later I stopped sertraline and was started on citalopram 10mg, which I have been taking for 5 days, due to up dose on day 7 (20mg) and feeling very wierd indeed. My thoughts are confused, and when something does materialise it turns into something very wierd that further spikes the anxiety... I microanalyse every aspect of anything. Im afraid to get off the couch in case something 'sets me off' and starting to feel very tired, I have tried to keep social but it tends to exhaust me at the minute.

Has anyone else experienced almost suffocating mental symptoms like this? I sometimes think it'd be better just to be asleep but I can't even do that as I tend to just not sleep and spike my anxiety with wierd thinking. It feels like my brain and body are not that far off relaxing but whenever I approach i am reminded of just how wierd I feel from which my brain scrambles around for answers. If anyone else has had similar experiences or could share some insights that's be greatly appreciated.

Alex

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I’m currently going through this. I started on 25 my of Zoloft and started having obsessive thoughts and scary intrusive thoughts so went up to 50, it got even worse and i was having the WORST intrusive thoughts and so much panic. Like horrifying images In me head which I didn’t have before I even went on meds! Now I’m on Prozac 20 mg and I am so sick to my stomach I dry heave and feel nauseaous all day long! I’m at a loss of what to do
    • Posted

Hi Amy thank you for replying. I'm sorry you're feeling the same, it's maybe the worst sensation possible but in a way it helps to have comrades. I relapsed after years of being fine but I did not read the warning signs, not many people understand the situation. You will be okay in time, as the medications find their balance. it is your brain trying to make sense of chaos... but it is sometimes hard to imagine it will ever be over

• Posted

Been the same, depersonalization 100%confussed i feel like if i am gonna pass out the last 4 days i had chest pain i was on Velantafaxine 75mg for 7 weeks and my Depersonalization was worse soo my dr changed me to Escitalopram(lexapro) 10mg and i have 3 weeks and feel worse idk what to do anymore i just think i am going crazy 24/7 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.