Day 5 went downhill, help?

Posted , 2 users are following.

About a month ago my dr prescribed escitalopram and after a week of horrible side effects and not being able to get in touch with my dr I quit. I changed drs and he too suggested lexapro (generic) since I have taken it many years back with success however he suggested trying a different manufacturer for the generic since I cannot afford name brand. I got the new prescription, new manufacturer and for the first 4 days I was doing alright.. some side effects but sleeping well and eating and then I started my period and day 5 turned into a disaster.. up all night, panic and anxiety feeling awful.. is this normal for the side effects to start kicking in around day 5 or could this be a complication of my period? I’m so confused and a little taken aback by the sudden change after it going well for the first 4 days.. I thought I’d just continue improving.. I guess I’m looking for some encouragement as I’m feeling pretty beat down and confused after last night. Thoughts anyone? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey chick,

Sorry but your feeling to good atm! What mg are you on? I'm on escitalopram 20mg this will be week 4 tomorrow. I've had a bit of a bumpy ride but an getting there! Have you only been on them for 5 days? If so that is still way to early for you to get the full effects of the meds.

I also get really anxious and that for no reason before I start my period and sometimes a few days into it. I think that maybe your hormones are what's triggering your anxiety at the moment. Hang in there, you got this!

Cassandra

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement! I’m only in 2.5 mgs right now. I know crazy small dose! Dr told me to start slow and work my way up since I’m sensitive to medicine. 

Did you start at 20mg? How long did it tKe you to get through the side effects? 

Melissa 

• Posted

No worries anytime!

Oh ok you will get there you just have to give it time. I was on 10mg for 5 weeks but still was having symptoms so my doctor upped me to 20mg which I will have been on 4 weeks tomorrow. I've felt good the past couple of days so hopefully it will start to settle down now.

I used to be on 40mg of citalopram a few years ago but came off because I fell pregnant with my 3rd child.

Wishing you all the best!

Cassandra

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.