Day 6 BUNIONECTOMY surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there just wanted to share my thoughts and get some advise. I have had both bunions removed .and bandaged .wearing a boot to get around. the pain hasn't been to bad after the 3rd day but my feet are both badly swollen.I have been walking around alot in the house and I just can't sit .hence the swelling. I have booked 4 weeks off work for now and need to go back to change my bandages next week. I have to start the physio in the 3rd week and I'm dreading it. could someone please advise how bad it gets it terms of pain on the front part of your feet when trying to walk.and how long I'm expected to be off work for?Thanks x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Check out the Facebook group, I survived a bunionectomy. Lots if members having similar experiences and lots of useful information. I had a fusion n my big g toe 5weeks ago. Not too much pain, no  swelling but didn't move for 2 weeks. Elevating the feet and icing prevents swelling. I think 4 weeks us too soon but it depends on what you have had done. I am non weight bearing for 6 weeks then we see how it has healed. Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks Jan

I will see how it has gons I have had both bunions shaved and screws in both feet and correction made.sore but bareable for work they will need to have me to be totally fine before I go back to work. Glad yours was a success

• Posted

I am sorry to say this but elevated feet is the key to the best results

I had a toe fusion and a shaved bunion

I hardly did any walking for the first a weeks

Must admit I had hardly any swelling

I know it is hard to do but did with feet up as much as possible

As for work after if you have a sit down job it should not be a problem but feet need to be up a lot for the first 4 weeks

• Posted

Thanks Jane

The heeling is by far the worst part I feel.not so much the pain it's sitting and elevating and swelling.the shoes are terrible.....moan moan moan.Let's just pray I'm a quick healer and I can get back to work. Or I need a sitting hobby keep trying to do a bit of housework but lesson learned for sure now. Thanks again

• Posted

Hang in there charlotte. Most important part is elevating. I'm 7 weeks post surgery but i had a toe fusion too..the bunion eemoved for me still is sore but at this point im still walking. on my heel with a boot still and cane the carpet is a bitch to walk on but hard surface is alittle bit easier. Things don't heal if swollen it's best to keep the swelling down in order for healing. Don't apply pressure at all on the front feet heels only. It's a terrible long recovery but elevation is your best friend. Everyone heals differently the more you swell and apply pressure the longer to heal especially if it's swollen

• Posted

Thanks so much. That does seem an awful long time to be still wearing your boot and cane I was hoping to be in comfy shoes by around week 5 and my feet to have fully healed I have physio in a few days so I guess they will tell how I'm getting on .just want these dam bandages off .my feet itch all the time . I will take all your advise though.thanks again

• Posted

BOTH feet? pain isn't "so bad"? wow! you're doing so well SO far - i honestly don't think you have much to be concerned about for your future developments. the swelling of your feet will subside nicely as soon as you start flexing your feet and putting pressure on them. with all your positivity - i don't see that you have much to worry about smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.